iPod Touch light sensor uses

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by Samiam303, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Samiam303

Samiam303 New Member

So I've been thinking about things that could be done with the iPod touch and something that occurred to me is that nobody's really doing anything with the light sensor. Does anyone know how sensitive that actually is? A thought that came to mind would be that it could be used as a light meter for photography, but I don't know if it has the precision to do that.
  2. bob0fishkins

bob0fishkins New Member

yea ive never thought bout an app using the light sensor, idk how sensitive it is either
  3. evanmrules

evanmrules New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i think a while back someone on the forums had an idea and was actually making a game that incorporated the light sensor. if i could only remember his name... damn
  4. Fehr

Fehr New Member

That would be really interesting! Someone, with a lot of time on their hands, could make a game (perhaps an RPG?) where if it's bright enough, some monsters would appear, while other wouldn't, or if it's sufficiently dark, some monsters would appear, while other wouldn't. It would make for an interesting game, even if it wasn't an RPG....

Then again, I doubt the sensitivity of the iPod Touch and iPhone's light sensors. Even when I set the brightness to "auto" it really doesn't do anything.

Toodles, Fehr.
  5. Yerffej

Yerffej New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Could probably start out with something simple like a light-o-meter or your ipod telling you that its light or dark
  6. zephyrnok

zephyrnok Member

If you can't tell if it is light or dark... Wow..

I notice the light sensor changes on my screen though.
  7. MrCookie615

MrCookie615 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    That would be an awesome RPG! I think that something similar has already been made for the GBA. I think it was Golden Sun??? (I can't remember, forgive me if I'm mistaken.) Maybe a fan made port of that game could come to iPod Touch/iPhone.
  8. rokrboy

rokrboy Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPod touch
    That would be a cool game, but would require a lot of discipline in programming. That would probably take a REALLY long time to make/port to the iPhone platform.
  9. gollyzila

gollyzila New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    there's a game called Boktai: The Sun is in Your Hand for the GBA. it utilizes a special GBA cart that is slitghly larger and contains a light sensor. As you play u put the GBA under light to "charge" a solar gun ingame. maybe a game like that for the ipod touch/iphone?