iPod Touch light leak solved!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cawirth, Sep 15, 2010.

1. cawirth

cawirth New Member

Just received my iPod 4g from the FedEX man on Monday and noticed I too had the infamous "light leak" problem. Thought I had the one-in-a-million quality control problem until I found this group, and discovered the problem was endemic to the product. Rather than going through the headaches and hassles of returning the product to Apple, only to discover I would likely end up with the same problem, I decided to try to solve myself. Luckily, I believe I hit a home run with this very simple solution. Here is what you do. Buy a tube of black %100 silicone gasket material. Bought mine at ACE Hardware for about $5. Put a very, very small amount on the tip of your finger. I can't emphasize how small of an amount you need (about the size of a grain of rice) and rub the silicone up and down the seam between the glass and the bezel where the light is leaking. Immediate, wipe the excess residue with a dry cloth (I used a micro fiber cloth). Check to see if the light still emits, if it does, follow the same steps again. Took me a couple of time to completely seal. The project only takes a couple of minutes, and the repair is completely undetectable. The silicone has the added benefit of being waterproof, flexible, shock resistant, and able to withstand temperatures your iPod Touch will never see. Hope this helps!

Chris W
  2. NinetyFour

NinetyFour Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Thanks, this should be useful. Any pics/video would also be much appreciated.
  3. www719

www719 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    go to genius bar = problem solved
  4. TchnclFl

TchnclFl New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Don't want to have to make an appointment to talk to people who really know very little about technology other than their shiny iPods. Problem solved.
  5. JKJones

JKJones Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Why void your warranty when they will replace it with one thats perfect? If you get a bad one return it, and get a good one you'll eventually get a good one. I just think it makes no sense to try to fix something apple will do for you for free.
  6. momentumhacker

momentumhacker New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    OP: Thanks, very helpful.
  7. b777forever

b777forever Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Those "genius" don't know anything. A 13 year old knows more things about a iPod touch than most of them
  8. TouchFaith

TouchFaith New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    The folks at Apple wish they had thought of this. Kudos to cawirth for technically-sound originality, warranty-voiding or not.
  9. cawirth

cawirth New Member

Quick note: highly doubt that this fix will void your warranty as the amount of silicone used is absolutely miniscule and the repair so unoticible that unless you told Apple what you did, it would never be an issue. The actual area you are filling in is not any wider/much wider than that of a human hair.
  10. bobblaine

bobblaine New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    its like having left whipped cream on your finger from dessert slip into the crack... will not void warranty