iPod touch Library gone

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by parokyano, Jan 24, 2009.

1. parokyano

parokyano New Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    I just plugged in my iPod this morning and was surprised to see that all my music and videos are now gone. Whenever I open the music or video app, it only says No Music/Videos You can download music/videos from iTunes. However I can tell they're still on the disk since my free space has not changed.

Is there a way to fix this without restoring? Help me pls...
  2. flubby33

flubby33 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    dude same happened with me.
    i just had to restore...
  3. Sarcasm Siempre

Sarcasm Siempre New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings.
  4. parokyano

parokyano New Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    ^Err, haven't tried that but my gut tells me that won't work.

So anyway here's my fix:

Problem Description:
    Music and Videos missing on iPod touch, whole library gone. However free space has not changed, meaning the files are still on the disk. Upon plugging into iTunes, the bar at the bottom shows no space taken up by Music or Videos, instead a huge chunk is taken up by "Other" and it's size is comparable to the missing library.

Fix:
    *Note: this would require that your device is jailbroken and that you have openSSH installed. If not just install it through cydia and follow these steps. I assume you already have experience with SSH and know your way around this, if not there are guides that better cover those areas, so head there first to grab the basics before continuing on.

1. Simply go to private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/Music, this is where the whole library is found. Grab all your music and videos if you don't have a back-up. Note however that iTunes have scrambled all their filenames into four character combinations.
    2. Disconnect the iPod to avoid any problems. You may also opt to just close iTunes
    3. Delete all the contents of the private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/Music folder.
    4. Restart the iPod.
    5. Resync with iTunes. Everything should work fine now.

Notes:
    * If upon resyncing you discover that the iPod no longer accepts your media files, just restore FROM A BACKUP (NOT the hard FW restore of iTunes) and afterwards the iPod would be as good as before.
    *An easier solution would of course be to just restore the firmware, but that would entail having to rejailbreak the device and reDL-ing winterboard themes, etc. I really wanted to avoid that long brute force process.
  5. Sarcasm Siempre

Sarcasm Siempre New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I've heard that it works. But I've never had this problem myself, so I wouldn't know.
  6. amandwato

amandwato Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    this is correct and does work, its cause u have to many apps
  7. Georgie04

Georgie04 New Member

Tried to reset all settings but nothing happened. Are you sure????
  8. Blue265

Blue265 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    parokyano, thanks for your instructions. I did what you said and removed the items from the music folder through SSH and it solved all my problems. I was having the same problem as the OP where my Touch was out of space and all videos and music were gone. Re-sync with Itunes and good to go again
  9. ipodfan256

ipodfan256 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Don't pull the cable while syncing
    I accidentally did that once