iPod touch-less? Any advice on this?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by kdog96, Jul 1, 2009.

1. kdog96

kdog96 New Member

Hey all, new to the site, and I did some searching looking for a relative topic to my problem, just couldn't seem to find it. Apologies if this has been covered in the past, but I'm looking for some help or advice.

I bought an 8G 1st gen touch from a coworker about a month ago. Absolutely love it! Everything worked fine, however over the last 2 weeks, I've had times where it just won't respond at all to touch.

I would reset it and that seemed to do the trick, however it was happening more and more frequently, and then one day, the reset wouldn't work, and it'd be stuck on the "Slide to unlock" screen, but there was nothing I could do. The home button would work, double clicking it would bring up the play icons for the music, but again of no use since the screen didn't respond to touch. I did some research online, someone recommended putting it in a bag of rice overnight, and sure enough it worked... for a few days.

It became unresponsive again after I had connected to the Mac, hooked it up, downloaded some podcasts... then disconnected and went to use it... no go. Tried the reset, the bag of rice trick, a complete restore. Nothing worked.

I took it to an Apple store and after a $15 "diagnosis fee" they told me I was basically out of luck, this thing was not working and the price to repair would be pretty much the cost of a new iPod.

I've been digging around the net, trying to find some kind of "miracle solution" to this problem, and from what I can tell, the digitizer may need to be replaced? I've found some at reasonable prices, and there are multiple tutorials online to show me how to do it.

2 days ago though, I had the iPod connected to the computer and I walked over to it, pressed the home button, then tried the "slide to unlock" and holy smokes IT WORKED!?!? It was back to life, fully functional and working fine.

I slowly put my content back on it, and was quite happy to have it back up & running, when over the course of the day, I'd notice the touch capability dropping out again.

Please Register or Log in to view images

I would stop using it, come back 10 minutes later and it would work fine... Looks like it fell right back into the same situation as before.

Which brings me to this website, a fantastic resource for iPod touch info, and I thought I'd put my scenario out there to see if anyone could offer me any advice as to what my options are? Get the digitizer and swap it out? Is there a chance this could be a loose cable inside??? Why does it work perfectly one day and not at all the next?

Thanks for any info, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Kris (kdog96)
  2. kzr22

kzr22 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i have never heard of your problem but if yur ipod touch is not jailbroken i would send it to apple and if it is just restore and send to apple
    they will probably replace it
  3. TheTerminator

TheTerminator New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Did you read his post? He said he tried to at the Apple Store and the price to repair it was close to the price of a new iPod.
  4. thatwaseasy

thatwaseasy New Member

I have the same problem with my 16 GB 2nd Generation iPod touch!! I have to try multiple times to slide to unlock it and have gotten to the point where I slide it halfway with one finger, then slide it the rest of the way with another, which is incredibly annoying. I can't slide the volume past a certain point, and apps where I have to slide are unresponsive. It usually takes a few attempts for the play, pause, skip, or go back controls to register.
    I can't figure out what's wrong! I didn't get it wet or anything like that. I asked my uncle, a huge apple expert, and he suggested that I clean the screen and reset it. I have done both of these things, and, as you said, they only worked for a little while. The only other thing I considered was that maybe the protective screen cover I have over my screen is getting too old and that it is time to switch that. Do you have a screen cover on yours?
    The last possibility for mine is that maybe it got overheated when I left it in the car or in my backpack and I was thinking that had something to do with it....?
    This is so frustrating, as I'm sure you know! I hope someone here has some insight as to what to do.
  5. Ralzaider

Ralzaider New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Sounds like the iPod has water damage.

Each iPod has a piece of white litmus paper in its headphone jack. The litmus paper will change colour when wet. Check the headphone jack and see if there's any red/pink coloured paper in there.
  6. qe boy

qe boy New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ive never heard of the problem either,

there might be a way of opening up the ipod to check the cables or

you will just have to replace the digitizer
  7. Dust

Dust New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    never heard of this problem, but it must be a hardware problem because you already did a full restore. it might have water inside, which is why putting it in a bag of rice works. try that again, and if all fails, you might have to get a new ipod.
  8. H3X

H3X New Member

Here's what I would do:

Try force shutting down the iPod by holding down the Home+sleep keys together for ~10 seconds until it shuts down. You have to be on the 3.0 firmware to do this, otherwise it will reboot instead of shut down.

Once it's shut down, just let it sit in a dry room for 3-7 days. A good dry spot would be a location inside your house/room. A bad spot would be in the basement. You could also put it in a small room/closet with a dehumidifier, but still not your basement.
  9. kdog96

kdog96 New Member

Thanks everyone for your feedback on this, as I'm at a real loss for what to do.

I'm upgrading the firmware to 3.0 as we speak in hopes that something might work. Once I get that done, and if there's no luck, then I'll follow the steps that H3X & 1337Jonathan recommend with the bag of rice / dry room for a couple of days. If all else fails, then I'll crack it open and replace the digitizer.

Thanks again all,
    Cheers,

Kris (kdog96)