ipod touch Lego Dock using the dock adapter

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by wildrice128, Jan 12, 2008.

1. wildrice128

wildrice128 New Member

Hey all! There was a post on digg a few days ago about a lego brick ipod dock adapter, and that got me thinking. I looked around this site and checked google for docks made out of legos, but none seemed to take advantage of the dock adapter that comes with the touch! So yesterday i took my dock adapter and usb cable, combined them with some lego bricks, and created this solid dock. Hope you guys like it, Let me know what you think!

*For the people without their own legos, I was looking into possibly marketing this as an inexpensive alternative to the apple dock. It would end up costing $20 total. Is there anyone out there that might be interested?

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  2. aLLeYRaT

aLLeYRaT New Member

very nice!

now i wanna try this, i got a load of legos!
  3. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Wow, that's the nicest dock made out of lego that I've seen. Very nice, I might need to make that.
  4. berky93

berky93 New Member

I really like that dock. I think ill have to get my dock back from my dad just to make that!

too bad the ipod touch comes with an adapter that looks like it was made for the origional ipod, and not all nice and fitting.
  5. THaToNeGuY

THaToNeGuY New Member

nice dock... im thinking of building one too with my LEGOs..

looks pretty heavy and robust... good job
  6. wildrice128

wildrice128 New Member

Thanks for the feedback! If anyone has any questions I'd be glad to help. The trickiest part is the internal system to keep the dock connector snug and in place.

berky93, I agree the dock adapter that comes with the touch doesn't really seem to be made for it, but with the plate layer of legos behind it the touch stands up very snug (and even has a nice lean to it!)

Please Register or Log in to view images

For the people without their own legos, I was looking into possibly marketing this as an inexpensive alternative to the apple dock. It'd probably end up costing less than half, I'd have to look further into brick pricing

Please Register or Log in to view images

Is there anyone out there that might be interested?
  7. THaToNeGuY

THaToNeGuY New Member

did you like tape the cable to the connector i got mines all setup and i agree getting the cable all snug is hard
  8. wildrice128

wildrice128 New Member

No, i used only bricks in the making, you need to snake the cord around enough so that pulling on the outside of the case won't disturb the connector, then wedge the connector to the bottom of the dock adapter with a couple small plate bricks.
  9. THaToNeGuY

THaToNeGuY New Member

10. hy565

hy565 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Did you use the dock adaptor that came in the iPod Touch box? How did you get the ipod end of the cable to fit into the hole? I tried connecting my cable to my ipod through the dock adapter and the connector is unable to be fully inserted into the iPod..and it will randomly disconnect....