Ipod Touch just lost itself?...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by crappie_fisherman, Dec 27, 2008.

1. crappie_fisherman

crappie_fisherman New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    For some reason my daughters Ipod touch Gen2 just lost who it is...meaning it powered off...she powered it on and then the Itunes initial screen was there...she could not get to any applications.

So I plugged it into the computer, Itunes started up but the Ipod is not named as her name anymore?

All information appears to still be on the touch but for some reason ITunes doesn't recognize it as HERS and only as Ipod now...what gives?

Does anyone know what could have happened here and what do I need to do to re-attached it as HERS in Itunes...we have two touches in the household and each was uniquely named...but this one seems to have converted to a generic one.

I have another thread going about her MSN mail and how the touch wigged out when we accessed thru Safari hotmail.com...could these be related issues and do I need to do a full restore?

She has only had this since Christmas day...

Thanks in advance for any assistance...I am definitely still learning here.

Joe.
  2. dimdig23

dimdig23 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Try to hold the power and home button down for 10 seconds to restart the iPod.
    If you still have the issue when the iPod reboots itself, restoring would be the best bet.
    If the problem comes back up in the future you should take it to the apple store.
  3. crappie_fisherman

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I tried the 10 second restart as described above and reconnected to ITunes...still doesn't recognize it as HER Ipod and simply Ipod Touch...so for some reason it seems to still not know it as HERS...is there a way to re-name it like I did when I first powered it up and did the initial setup or is that a one time deal?

I have not connected the other touch to the computer yet...
  4. dimdig23

dimdig23 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Your best bet it to restore it.
    If you have 2 touch's they will have the same music and movies on them unless you set them to manually manage music and videos.
    It sounds like it is in restore mode so go to the ipod, and click on restore.
    Then you will get back to square one, and you can rename the ipod.
    Hope this helps
  5. crappie_fisherman

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    So is this a sign that this touch may be glitchy and I should return it right away?

It is literally 2 days in use...I don't want her to have an unreliable unit for what I paid for this thing...I'd rather just get rid of a problem unit from the start rather than deal with warranty issues...thoughts? I only ask because her other issue was that none of her games would play. I tried the restart for those and simply deleted all of them and reloaded them and they now work...so I'm concerned this unit may have some issues...

When I do a restore...do I lose any of her data on the unit?

She has input contacts already.

The other stuff is on ITunes (music, movies) and I can simply reload photos...but when I restore will she have to retype all of her contacts again?

Thanks,
    Joe.
  6. ParrotBoy

ParrotBoy Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Restoring will wipe everthing everything off the ipod and send it back to factory settings. If you don't want all your music on the iPod when you plug it in select manual sync.
  7. dimdig23

dimdig23 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Sadly enough, when you restore, it wipes everything off the ipod and sets it back to factory settings.
    It sounds like the ipod is in DFU (device firmware upgrade i think)
    This means that you have to restore.
    If the problem persisits after you restore, that might be a sign of a glitchy unit.
  8. GeneralDuctape

GeneralDuctape New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Crappie_Fisherman, may I ask what your last name is?

Rather, is it Becker?
  9. crappie_fisherman

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ductape,

Nope my last name isn't Becker...

I'm not sure if I even know any Beckers to be honest...sorry!

Thanks to dimdig and parrot for all your help...I'm about to do the restore...when I hooked up the touch it did a firmware upgrade to 2.2...perhaps I got a bad load?...I'll try that first before doing a return...

Joe
  10. Vash01

Vash01 New Member

Then he can just SYNC everything back in.