iOS 4.0 Ipod touch jailbreak questions for iOS4

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by fearxunleashed, Jun 13, 2010.

1. fearxunleashed

fearxunleashed New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Ok i have a 8gb 3rd generation ipod touch. I plan to put spirit on it for an untethered jailbreak. Here are my questions

I see you are supposed to save SHSH blobs before you do anything so that when the iOS4 comes out or any new firmware you can get back to a previous version? I dont understand...? And how do i use the SHSH blobs and revert back to a previous version firmware? What exactly am i supposed to do when this comes out?

So basically, when i have my ipod touch jailbroken and they make me update to iOS4, will my jailbreak just not work anymore? Then what do i do? Do i have to restore my ipod using itunes, then wait for new jailbreak software for iOS4 to come out until i jailbreak again?
  2. shashanknegi

shashanknegi Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    1. you dont need SHSH blobs because you have and 8GB, you only SHSH bloobs if your 3G 32Gb or 3G 64GB.

2. the jailbreak will void as soon as you update, so you must rejailbreak again after. I recommend a restore to remove software from the other jailbreak, sometimes they dont interact well. I would recommend the new version of redsn0w, seeing as how you wont get mulitasking and that stuff, using redsn0w to jailbreak will automatically enable it.
  3. fearxunleashed

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    So are you saying redsnow > spirit? Is redsnow tethered? Just as good, same thing (cydia) ? but only difference is multitasking? Isn't that what the iOS4 is going to be anyways so would it even matter?

So if i decide to jailbreak before iOS4 comes out, then when it comes out, i have to update to it, restore the ipod touch, then wait for the new jailbreak stuff to come out?

I dont understand the SHSH blobs. Are you POSITIVE i dont need to even worry what they are since i have an 8gb 3rd generation?
  4. Theodosius

Theodosius Active Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    You won't get multitasking on 4.0.
  5. omokas

omokas Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Redsnow will/might be better than spirit only when you update to 4.0. Spirit is a usermode exploit (hack) which is currently untethered. Redsnow on 4.0 will be untethered since a bootrom (kernel) exploit has been found for newer (MC) iPods.

So, for 3.1.x spirit is untethered and the best out there.
    For 4.x Redsnow might be the best, and ofcourse it will be untethered

Please Register or Log in to view images

You don't have to update your iPod when the iOS 4.0 comes out. You can wait till a jailbreak is released

You don't need them because there is always a way to downgrade and Apple can't change it. I also think you can backup them if you want , i am not sure though

6. shashanknegi

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    1. Redsn0w is better than spirit, cause it can give you custom boot logos and junk. On IOS 4, for 2G's and the 3G 8B wont be supported. ( Apple secretly can support it but dont want to for some reason ) Redsn0w will automatically enable it when you jailbreak.

2. just wait for ios 4 to come out, its only 8 more days.

3. Im as sure as Santa is real. (jk)

Im sure. You can save them if you want, use AutoSHSH, quick and simple.
  7. fearxunleashed

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    So what version firmware is the 8gb 3rd gen model?

What do i need to do to jailbreak? Don't need to backup SHSH ? Just plug in, sync, DFU mode, then jailbreak with spirit or redsn0w?
  8. shashanknegi

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    1. well we dont know that, go into your settings > About> scroll down to version. Yours should be either 3.1.2 or 3.1.3

2. Backup up SHSH is not needed, normally for 3G 32GB or 3G 64GB its advised, but for your 3G 8GB, you can downgrade without SHSH blobs saved for your device. Infact it would be easier to downgrade using the shift click restore method, then using a SHSH method with your blob.
  9. omokas

omokas Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    It might also be 3.1.1

10. fearxunleashed

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I read when iOS4 comes out you wont be able to shift click on restore anymore.. Is this true?

So when iOS 4 comes out and i need to rejailbreak, ill have to reinstall every cydia app?