iPod Touch "jailbreak" explained (For dummies who want to understand)

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.x Jailbreak' started by michaelchan0427, Oct 11, 2007.

1. michaelchan0427

michaelchan0427 New Member

Hi all, I have seen dozens of threads regarding what the jailbreak is and misunderstandings about jailbreak. So I figured someone should provide dummies basics to understand the entire jailbreak thing.

What is the Tiff exploit?
    The Tiff exploit is about opening the door to jailbreak. In the exploit, a special formatted tiff image is used. The image, when loaded in safari, will change some system settings on the iPhone / iTouch and thus allow jailbreak.

What is jailbreak?
    In simple words, it is a process that allows access to the entire filesystem (FS) on the iPhone / iTouch, which means we could install 3rd party apps, mod existing apps and so on.

If I jailbreak my iPod Touch, will I be able to go back to the jailed state?

The jailbreak modified some files on the iPhone / iTouch to enable access to the FS. So in theory, wiping out the HDD on the iPhone / iTouch and restore the firmware should put the iPhone / iTouch back in jailed state.

So what exactly happened after I jailbreak my iPod Touch? Can I still sync with iTunes? Do I need to jailed my iPod Touch to sync with iTunes?
    After the iTouch is jailbroken, 3rd party applications could be installed. Installing apps on the iTouch is very simple via installer.app (google it). And of course, syncing with iTunes is possible, but some filename and directory name need to be changed before this happen. Once this is done, the iPod Touch stay in jailbroken state, and syncing with iTunes doesn't require to jail the iTouch.

Hope this helps
  2. michaelchan0427

michaelchan0427 New Member

Can someone make this sticky? I believe this is qualified for it
  3. bgizzle

bgizzle Administrator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    just did it

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. jeep

jeep New Member

Can someone please help me with step 7 from the dev team wiki site? everytime i punch in the code it says "command not found"

thanks guys
  5. ianoreo

ianoreo Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    same. it also says image not found on step 6
  6. jmiz9000

jmiz9000 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    how long does it take to jailbreak
  7. Aciidc0der

Aciidc0der Retired Moderator

Ill be posting the translation to this over at the EspaƱol forums...please someone sticky it over there

Please Register or Log in to view images

thnx
  8. lunarlie

lunarlie Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    maybe 20 minutes...
  9. xwinger

xwinger New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Will this void my warranty?
  10. djricekcn

djricekcn New Member

of course it will void your warranty. You're doing something Apple doesn't allow normally. It's like asking if my Xbox360 voided if I flash the drive