iPod touch is in an infinite DFU mode?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by yathern, Jan 24, 2010.

1. yathern

yathern New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    OK, I know you guys get topics like these ALL of the time, but mines a little different. Please read the entire post, as my problem seems very unique. I have searched for months, and no post has helped much.
    I'm pretty good with fixing/jailbreaking iPods, as I have done with many of my friends, but for some reason, I have come to a dead end with my own.

I have a first generation iPod Touch, and got it September 2008. I jailbroke it in less than a month, and it was working beautifully. In the next few months around 5 or so people came to me to either fix or jailbreak their iPods, so I got a LOT of experience with fixing them, knowing what drivers I need and pretty much every facet of them.

Until in June 2009, when my own iPod started becoming unresponsive. I reformatted it, and rejailbroke it, and it worked fine for another few months, until as of recently, it 'broke' again.

It won't turn on, wont charge, wont give me any signs that it even works. I know for a fact that it is in DFU mode, because ziphone tells me it is. Generally, iTunes will recognize it, and my computer (XP/Vista/7- tried it all) will make a bunch of disconnecting and reconnect noises, but iTunes just waits for a few minutes, then tells me it cant recognize it.

I can't update or restore it, because iTunes doesn't recognize it long enough to even give me information. The only time its 'almost' worked is when I had XP/iTunes 7.4/USB2/Newest Apple Mobile Support. But it wouldn't restore, and I never got that close again.

So here is a list of things I have tried, and I have tried almost every combination of them:

OS's:
    Vista
    Windows 7
    XP

It was iPod Touch 2.2.1 firmware.

EVERY VERSION of iTunes from 7.4 and up

64-bit versions of things (my Windows 7 Computer is 64-bit)

I tried installing different Apple Mobile Device Support drivers as well.

I have tried USB1 as well as USB2, with no noticeable difference.

Almost every possible combination of home/power/home+power button combos.​

I've been trying to fix this thing for months, diving into the heart of the problem by looking at driver info, looking at which services are running and stuff like that, so I'm sure its not something as simple as pressing a few buttons in the right order, but any help is GREATLY appreciated.

EDIT:
    Actually, one thing that I have yet to do (as of recently) is charge it. I charged it when it first was bricked, knowing that that was something important, but I assumed all the activity with plugging it into my computer would charge it, but overnight I'll see if that makes any difference.

EDIT MORE!:
    Read below, because I tried some listed ideas, and posted my responses, which might help someone trying to help me.
  2. iptman

iptman Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    What firmware is it?
  3. yathern

yathern New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    It (was) 2.2.1
  4. narwal13

narwal13 Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    yes. please let us know what firmware it is on.
  5. iptman

iptman Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  6. yathern

yathern New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks- Ill try that now and let you know.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Its taking a little while, but its stuck on a step, and it said (Unexpected DFU mode at a certain point.)

Its waiting to reboot, but its not happening.

EDIT: I unplugged and replugged it in, because it mentioned that it would be a good idea, but nothing interesting is happening.

EDIT2: OK, I stopped the program, it was stuck, because the iPod would'nt reboot.

EDIT3: I tried the newest redsnow, with the GUI, but it came across a similar problem, it wouldn't be able to get the iPod to reboot.

EDIT4: Now that I am in the mood for trying different ideas, I tried out blackra1n, but it wont find my device.
  7. iptman

iptman Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Try quickfreedom
  8. yathern

yathern New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    OK, well let me just give you the run-down of what happened for the past couple attempts:

It took forever to install libUSB, because I not only have a 64 bit system, I also have windows 7, so I had to do some interesting things. Then, (I have used quickfreedom a lot before this) it had a lot of trouble making files, so I went into command promt, and gave it a bunch of privileges, then, I got to the part where I have to put it into DFU mode, and here is where it gets really strange:

So, Ziphone told me it was in DFU mode, but QF said that my iPod wasn't connected, If I started itunes, I would get a bunch of connecting and reconnect noises, as usual. So, I decided to choose the insane-est idea, and kill iTunes, just in between these sets of connections and non-connections. The result:

QF now thinks its connected in DFU, Ziphone thinks its not connected!!!

Well, anyways, When I click the 'pre-jailbreak' button, nothing happens either way. iTunes will continue to freak out if I start it up, and I have no idea what to do.

I feel like I have made progress, but I'm pretty sure that this is just another dead end.
  9. noeagle28

noeagle28 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ok I currently have a similar iPod problem. I am very familiar with jailbreaking and iPods. i currently have 3 iPod touches, 2 work and look great, but the last one will not turn on, it wont restore, it wont do anything. I’ve spent about 3 months trying to fix it. it is (was) a 2g 2.2.1 jailbroken ipod off redsnow. Every time I put it into DFU mode and try to restore i get an error 1602, 1601, etc. ive tried other computers, I’ve tried restarting, and I’ve tried re-installing itunes but nothing. im getting very frustrated and I just want to fix it. If anyone knows a way to fix it, PLEASE! let me know. I will deeply appreciate your help. Thank you in advanced.
  10. Xtreme Touch

Xtreme Touch Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    My friend had this problem and sent it back to apple for a new one.