Ipod Touch is completely black, never been used. Researched for hours...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by smeseke, Oct 29, 2008.

1. smeseke

smeseke New Member

First off im sorry if this is a easy question or has been asked many of times. Ive researched for hours and nothing has worked so here you go.

I got the Ipod touch 8GB from somebody and they said they never used it. SO I went to install Itunes and Did that perfect. When I went to connect the ipod touch to my computer it wouldnt read it. Nothing came up on Itunes or nothing. So eventually i messed with the home/sleep button and all that and it finally showed the image of the usb plug going to the itunes. It said when it connected that it needed to be restored. So from then on it was downloading a file and it installed for a while then said "this ipod cannot be restored error 1603". Now I have searched and searched with no answer except for bricked Ipods....mine is not bricked its brand new. Of course my ipod is not availible for phone support so I cant call. Well anyway now its just completely black the screen with the usb cord connecting to the itunes logo wont even come up. Its just black. Pure black.....screen just flickers when i hit the top button

Once again It would be awesome to get an answer. Sorry if this has been asked numerous times....thanks for the help
  2. iPhoneFTW

iPhoneFTW New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Try using a different USB port or computer
  3. GeorgeSofiPodTouch

GeorgeSofiPodTouch New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You say the product is new, did u buy it from apple? or a friend or ebay etc?

If its ebay possibly you have been sold an iPod with a fault which they have not told you about?

Have u tried holding the home & sleep/wake button at the same time?
    Or either of the two, sometimes you have to be patient as it takes a while for it to show.

Hope this advice is good enough for you

Please Register or Log in to view images

Also i know you said you cannot call them but give it a go, they may possibly help you out, or take it to an apple store?
  4. smeseke

smeseke New Member

Ya i have tried three different computers 2 with vista and 1 with xp. I guess i will try and give them a call also....thanks for the help so far

Its also flickering likes its trying to come on when i hold the button on the top...whats up with that maybe my battery is too low? like i need a new one completely
  5. GeorgeSofiPodTouch

Device:
    iPod touch
    Have you tried charging it???

Did you buy it from the apple store??
    They would know better then me, if none of what i said is working

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. smeseke

smeseke New Member

it will not charge...doesnt show up on my computer at all....and honestly i dont know where they got it im sure it was from the apple store it was a gift from my job.
  7. GeorgeSofiPodTouch

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hmmm that is weird

Do you have an external charger which you plug into a plug socket??

this is a wild stab in the dark but may possibly work have you attempted to put it into i think it is called DFU mode, in where you can restore
    May be you best bet?

You are right it may be the battery that has buggered up...but i wouldnt of thought so...:S

Sorry not much help really
  8. smeseke

smeseke New Member

Well we went and got a wall charger just now and it is now charging and the screen is on. So i will let you know the update....

thanks for your help george most people on here are mean to anyone new.....class act :thumbsup:
  9. iPTF_BROWSER

iPTF_BROWSER Active Member

Device:
    HTC One
    If restore problems persist try this prior to the restore attempt.
    You need to enter it in to DFU mode:
    Hold down the home and power button for 10 seconds.
    Let go of the power button while holding the home button.
    In about 20-30 seconds iTunes will recognize it and you can restore.
  10. GeorgeSofiPodTouch

Device:
    iPod touch
    No problem smeseke, know how you feel, you just want someone to answer you and to get to bottom of the problem, well i hope that the wall charger has worked for you (y).

And as i said earlier and the person above has said, going into DFU Mode may be a wiser idea, if the charging idea does not work.
    But seeming that it is showing on the screen it is charging then hopefully that was the problem (y)

Keep me updated mate