Ipod touch / Iphone and battery life

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Dytoonn, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Dytoonn

Dytoonn New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm probably going to buy me a 2nd generation ipod touch 16gb. It will cost me about 299$. Now Here's a question: Is there a possibility getting the old Iphone for let's say 400$? I have a friend who bought one 1 year ago, and he paid 400$. So are they still available or is it just a silly idea buying the old Iphone?
    Buying the new Iphone 3G isn't an option, since they're too expensive. (about 600$ without a contract, with a contract the monthly fee is too high.)

Also, is the ipod touch battery life better than the old ipod touch/ iphone or the new iphone 3g battery life? (So not really depending on the firmware version installed, but just based on the hardware.)
  2. Zink

Zink Member

Device:
    iPad
    the 3g is $200 and Iphone:
    Power and battery

* Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery3
    * Charging via USB to computer system or power adapter

Talk time:4
    Up to 5 hours on 3G
    Up to 10 hours on 2G

* Standby time: Up to 300 hours5

Internet use:
    Up to 5 hours on 3G6
    Up to 6 hours on Wi-Fi7

* Video playback: Up to 7 hours8
    * Audio playback: Up to 24 hours9

iPod Touch:
    # Built-in rechargeable lithium ion battery
    # Playback time

* Music playback time: Up to 36 hours when fully charged
    * Video playback time: Up to 6 hours when fully charged

Charging via USB to computer system or power adapter (sold separately)

* Fast-charge time: about 2 hours (charges up to 80% of battery capacity)
    * Full-charge time: about 4 hours
  3. wormyalon

wormyalon New Member

It has been rumored that the new ipod touch has a more energy efficient processor, however very little is actually known about it other than the fact that it's still underclocked to 412mhz. The older touch and all the iphones all use the original iphone processor.
    Also, I've seen some 1st gen iphones in very good condition go for around 200 on ebay, you can easily find an old iphone for less than $400 no contract.
  4. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Yeah, the 2G iPod touch has a S5L8720x processor.
  5. Dytoonn

Dytoonn New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    The iphone 3g is 199$ WITH a contract, but I don't have the money to pay a monthly 40$. And too bad they don't sell the old Iphone's any more in the stores. (So I mean a new old iphone ;-))
    I think I'm not going to risk buying an old Iphone on ebay, even if it looks good, since you don't know if the battery is in the original state. The battery is one of the most important things of your device, and I want to be 100% sure it's still okay. You can't be sure if you buy a used Iphone.

And since the battery life of an old iphone isn't as good as the ipod touch 2G, it seems to mee the ipod touch 2G is a better option...?

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. Puredudes

Puredudes New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    yeah dude just go with the touch the iphone is much better cuz the 2g has a speaker now! And you won't have to go with all the stuff with apple contract and its thinner man youll love it being thinner not fat and big trust me u will. just go with the touch its a good choice.