ipod touch internet access - pointless?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by yaxley, Dec 28, 2007.

1. yaxley

yaxley New Member

im wondering whats the point in its ability to access the internet?!
    when i try to connect to the internet at home, a message comes up on my ipod reading 'cannot connect to MyWLAN', but even if the internet did work id use my laptop!
    are there many public places where i could connect for free?
    im struggling to think of an instance in which the function is going to be fun...
  2. skids

skids New Member

I used it in an airport in Texas and was chatting to my Niece using Meebo (MSN Access)

I have also used it to set a program to record on my TiVo that I had forgotten about and been onto various web forums etc when sat in the pub using 'The Cloud' for £3.99 a month.

I have used it to show people my website.

Plus you can download music from iTunes.

So personally I see plenty of uses for it.
  3. Andymans

Andymans New Member

Internet access was the main reason I bought the touch. I don't have a laptop so this is great for portability. Never used my phone for Internet as that was rubbish. This is the best I have seen for the Internet on a smal portable device. Using my touch now to type this as I am not near my computer at home, so that is great for me. Hope I can pick up wifi for free on my holidays in Spain in the summer too while sunning myself on a beach. That would be cool.
  4. Walder

Walder New Member

^^Ditto

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. maks327

maks327 New Member

Driving through a neighborhood I checked to see how many WiFi sources were around. I easily picked up 10 or so, with 3 or 4 of those being open without security. The way I see it, if I ever get lost, I could probably just pull into the nearest neighborhood and hop on google maps!
  6. Vissionary

Vissionary New Member

Safari is the single most thing that I use the most. I'm amazed by the amount of wi-fi networks I run into on a daily basis. I love it. as well as the aforementioned wireless itunes purchasing as well as FTP transfers how could you not love the accessibility

7. AnotherFan

AnotherFan New Member

Yeah, I understand what you mean but it's still amazing.

As maks327 said, I can also go around different neighbourhoods and plazas and pick up at least 5 routers, 1-2 have no passwords.

You can save webpages too. Open up a webpage in safari, like when your at home, and you can have multiple tabs as well (more pages to save). When you leave your WiFi you still have the webpages saved on safari show you can read later or show other people.
  8. AnotherFan

AnotherFan New Member

9. jake112493

jake112493 Member

without internet therfe would probaly be terrible hacks
  10. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Actually, I just found MobileScrobble today and I think that's the perfect reason for internet access... I'm walking around my home doing chores, I hear a song I like, and I pop up MobileScrobble for the lyrics or find similar artists and listen to them streaming from Last.fm as I walk around my house.

Not to mention if I go on business trips or heck even to the supermarket I can check email and remote access my desktops without having to drag around a large notebook... Without the internet, it'd just be another iPod...