iPod Touch - Installing the unofficial Firmware 2.0 (build 5A240d, 5A225c)

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by iPodTouchUser28, Jun 25, 2008.

1. iPodTouchUser28

iPodTouchUser28 New Member

Hello to all iPod Touch fans around here,

I am writing this thread in the hope not breaking against some rules of the forum.
    I have an iPod Touch 32 GB from Singapore with the Software Upgrade (Standard) and the firmware version 1.1.4 (Standard).
    I am a mac and iPhone / iPod touch developer and I applied for the certificate and the firmware to get started running my apps on my iPod.
    Apple didn't answer yet and I think I will get a rejection eMail back (during the beta period the number of developers accepted is limited).
    This means, I will pay the $99 and become an iPhone developer when the App Store comes out.
    I have a few demo apps that do not want to run in the simulator (i.e. apps using the accelerometer). I want to try these apps on my iPod touch. The problem is that Xcode won't accept my iPod touch (1.1.4 is too old) so I need the 2.0 firmware.
    After several searches, I found out that I will get the firmware + the code signing certificate from Apple if I apply as an iPhone developer. I also looked around and found out that I can download the firmware on [PIRACY.rs], etc. I know this is not fully legal but I in a little while I will pay the money for this so I can distribute my app on the App Store. Using iTunes I put the firmware on my iPod. Everything successful, this is what iTunes told me…
    I got the 'Pink screen of death' like already mentioned in a few forums.
    So I need the PwnageTool to patch the firmware and put this one on my iPod.
    No sooner said than done. After successfully patching the .ipsw firmware file with PwnageTool 1.1 I tried to put the file on my iPod using iTunes (Alt-Click on Restore). It extracts the file but stucks on 'Preparing iPod for restore'. The iPod shows the white Apple icon or the Restore symbol but nothing happens. After a few minutes, iTunes runs into a timeout and displays an unknown error message. Okay, next try: I went into Xcode and used the Organizer to update the firmware. Xcode stucks on 'Waiting for device'. Okay, I restarted the iPod again and my mac and tried the whole thing again. Same thing here.
    I downloaded the WinPwn application and patched the original firmware.
    I tried to put this patched firmware file on my iPod using the Windows iTunes and iTunes for mac. They both stuck on the same step. Nothing doing.
    I looked again around in the internet to find new information. Some people have the same problem except one thing. They don't want to put the firmware 2.0 on their iPod, they try this with the version 1.1.4 that I already have. This doesn't help me.
    I looked aroung again and again and found a [PIRACY.rs] link to a already patched firmware file: 'iPod1,1_2.0_5A240d_Custom_Restore.ipsw'. I got the same problems with this file. Remember: I used both releases of the firmware file the release 5A240d and 5A225c. They do not work.
    But they should. YouTube videos prove that black is white.
    I really tried everything but I always failed. I am really expert in this firmware stuff now - and I think that my iPod is too new to be used for those unofficial releases of the beta firmware 2.0. I think so because my iPod has (as already mentioned) the firmware 1.1.4 and the software upgrade as standard.

I hope that anybody can help me with this problem or tell me why it's not working with my iPod. Does someone have the same problem like me?

Thanks in advance, Good Luck,
    An iPod Touch User.
  2. Blaze_Blaster

Blaze_Blaster Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    don't you need the old build, because the new one doesn't work with winpwn yet?
  3. nate853

nate853 New Member

did you pwn your ipod b4 trying to put the "custom" firmware on it?
  4. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Wow, that was very long, yet you explained it well. Welcome to iPodTouchFans, by the way.

1. WinPwn doesn't support the latest builds of Firmware 2.0.
    2. Which error are you receiving in iTunes? (What is the Error Code #?)
    3. Like said above, was the iPod touch "pwned" before you attempted to run the patched/custom firmware?

And no, this has never happened to me, as I haven't attempted this.
  5. iPodTouchUser28

First of all, thanks to all for their responses.
    Thanks.

Please Register or Log in to view images

I tried it with PwnageTool (1.1) and once, just to see what happens, I used winpwn.
    Okay, I tried again to put the firmware on the iPod and iTunes gives me error code #1604. Whatever that means…

It was pwned with iLiberty+. But after restoring the iPod to the original state, I had the standard firmware on my iPod again (1.1.4). But it also doesn't work.
    I think iTunes and the other firmware-update-applications, such as Xcode, loose the connection to the iPod for a moment so that they cannot continue with the installation. iTunes seems to run in a timeout because it stucks on 'Preparing iPod for restore…'. I attached two screenshots.

Thanks for your information.

- iPodTouchUser28

Edit: I found out that my iPod / iTunes does not want to accept patched firmwares. I just patched the 1.1.4 firmware with PwnageTool and I got the same error message in iTunes. The original, unpatched 2.0 or 1.1.4 firmware works.

Attached Files:

6. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    You pwned your iPod touch with iLiberty+? You can't pwn with iLiberty+?
  7. iPodTouchUser28

Yeah, I did. Is it important?
  8. Crazy

Crazy New Member

You can't pwn with iLibery+ you can jailbreak though. What you need to do is actually Pwn your iPod with PwnageTool. So you load in the .ipsw and click the Pwn button to put the 2.0 beta on your iPod. Hope that helps

9. iPodTouchUser28

Yes, this is what I tried to do. As already mentioned above, iTunes stucks on 'Preparing iPod for restore' and my iPod also hangs. Today, I tried to pwn a 1.1.4 firmware file from Apple but again the same problem. My iPod does not accept any patched firmwares created with PwnageTool. Neither the Beta 2.0 nor the official 1.1.4 firmware but thanks for your post.

- iPodTouchUser28

Edit: That's it! You're the winner of the day. Thank you so much for this awesome hint. It works now, iTunes restores my iPod using the firmware 2.0. I did not own my iPod…… stupid me.
    Thanks to all here for helping me. Good luck.

10. ricardofelix95

ricardofelix95 Banned

i dont recomend posting 2.0 firmware download links