Ipod Touch in the enterprise sub-forum request.

Discussion in 'iPod touch in the Enterprise' started by ph2t, May 29, 2008.

1. ph2t

ph2t New Member

Hey there mods + users. I've been a member for a while now and find the site incredibly usefull. I'm an older user (30s) and an IT manager in a larg(ish) enterprise network. We are a progressive dept and we are lucky to have a IT director that always loks forward into trying new things. The ipod touch and iphone (not released here yet in Australia) are devices that we have a very strong interest in.

What I would like to see is an "Ipod touch in the enterprise" type subform speically catered for those members out there that either use their ipod touch in an enterprise/corporate network environment or solution integrators that would push such a mobile product like this..

This forum would cover things like (but not limited to...)

• Enterprise messaging (Exchange client fw2.0)
    • Enterpise WLANs (802.11x, certificates, security, site RF design, etc, etc)
    • VPN client development/managment/use
    • Web client issues (Safari in the enterprise has it's challenges)
    • WLAN tools, stumbler, aplogger, etc... (Touch is an excellent site survey tester/tool)
    • Application development (IT tools, web extensions for incumbent business systems, etc...)

There are alot of threads all around the various subforums (some of them mine!) that I believe would serve the community better by being in the one place. Yes, different parts/uses of the Touch are already partitioned as various subforms (to me it seems by function).

I guess what I'm looking at is a grouping of post by application/use. As an IT professional I think this type of grouping would work well to give us an excellent source of resources for the corporate user/support person.

You may disagree and that's all cool but I thought I would a least put the suggestion out there!

Please Register or Log in to view images

Apple's roadmap for the iphone as a corporate device is quite plain and clear. The ipod touch (whilst not as visible in the roadmap) can compliment this I believe rather well.

cheers,

ph2t.
  2. papachango

papachango New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Good call ... i'm on the slightly older side myself, (in Australia, though i don't work in IT,) but am curious about the application of the new enterprise software ... would be good to chat and exchange ideas.
  3. ph2t

ph2t New Member

• Ads, referrals, or unapproved links
    lol, what a resounding response!

Well, I've decided to make my own site for this <>

Nothing is on there yet, over the following week I'm, writing up some guides and documents to do with wifi, echange, safari, security, etc, etc... But they won't be ready just yet.

cheers,

ph2t,.
  4. ph2t

ph2t New Member

lol, I received a warning for posting the link to a site that's not even up......

what a joke.....

I know you're trying to keep the house in order bgizzle but really this is quite funny.

Might want to take a healthty dose of reality mate, oh wait, hang on, this is the internet.... that's right.... lol....
  5. bgizzle

bgizzle Administrator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    the rules must be applied uniformly. that being said, i have been watching this thread and did remember what you posted. now that 2.0 is officially launched, i do actually wanna go ahead with something like this.
  6. ph2t

ph2t New Member

cool! I can appreciate the need for uniformity, just having a whinge mate!

Well bust a subbie open and we'll get this party started!

ph2t.
  7. kenna

kenna New Member

The subject is close to my heart!

Last year we were planning to buy PDA's for the technical staff where I work.. Then the iPod touch was announced and I managed to get Apple to provide one for testing. After 4 weeks there were found to be very useful and time saving so one was bought for each technician.

We are using them for attending to our web based helpdesk calls on the move (we have a large building), as well as holding notes/manuals and other information. The stumbler and terminal applications are also invaluable for us..

The main thing missing from v1 firmware was the exchange support.. Looking forward to trying the v2 firmware with our exchange server.
  8. Bernstein229

Bernstein229 New Member

I know this is off topic a little but, I didn't know if there were any other non-mod people who speak correct english. Back on topic, I'm not part of an enterprise business, but I am interested in this subject.
  9. bgizzle

bgizzle Administrator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    This forum is now added (for now in the temporary section until i have more time to do a thorough re-arranging of the forums).

Let's see what sort of content people manage to generate

10. Go Avalanche

Go Avalanche Banned

ZOMFG BGIZZLE PUT A SMILEY

but seriously i think this is a great idea