Ipod Touch Help!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by armorales, Dec 26, 2007.

1. armorales

armorales New Member

Hey, I'm new and I had a question just bought an IPOD TOUCH but I was wondering how I could connect to WIFI on it.

How could I connect to WIFI if I don't have a wireless network? I use DSL for my internet... Do I have to buy anything to connect to the internet on my IPOD TOUCH?
  2. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yes you can connect to wifi. To do this though, you do need to own a router though.
  3. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You can pick up an inexpensive 802.11g router from TigerDirect for under $30...
  4. jrods

jrods New Member

dont get a netgear one they suck
  5. tgmcg

tgmcg New Member

just buy a router and it should work....

... or you can just use your neighbors wifi xD
  6. armorales

armorales New Member

Alright thanks, when I buy a router though what exactly do I have to do?

Sorry not so experienced with computer networking.

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. NormNConquest

NormNConquest New Member

Once you buy a router...

The ethernet cable that comes out of your DSL device (and into your PC/Mac) goes to the input jack on the new wifi router. The router typically has four output jacks, so connect your existing PC/Mac to one of those jacks with a second ethernet cable. (A short one probably came in the box with the wifi.)

Power on and your PC/Mac should pass through seamlessly, getting internet just like before. Test that to make sure the new device is in fact routing internet. ALSO, you'll need that hard-wired connection to name your router and configure the wifi security -- but before you lock all the doors, test to see that your iPod can obtain an IP address and internet signal. Browse around and make sure Safari sees the sites you visit most, that your email and IM clients connect, and that your Installer sees and downloads sources.

Once you're satisfied that both PC and iPod are routing properly, go back and use the instructions in the box to configure the router. Write down the WEP keys (passwords) for your router. I put a sticker with my WEP keys on the bottom of the router. Or: email copies to a trusted friend and you'll always have a safe copy in your sent mail folder.

You'll then have to go back and reconfigure the iPod to remember WEP keys to connect to the newly renamed router. Remember that a hard-wired connection doesn't need the wireless passwords.

I like Linksys routers best -- cheap, sturdy, predictably standardized.