iPod Touch Has Built-In Support for External Remotes

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by ecbtln, Nov 20, 2007.

1. ecbtln

ecbtln New Member

When I was half asleep, I stumbled upon a very interesting bug/feature for the ipod that completely caught me off guard. On my iPod touch, I got the gray volume overlay to appear, in exactly the same form as it is on the iphone. Not what does this mean? This means that apple has hidden support for remotes in their ipod 1.1.1 software, or it may just be a bug that only exists in 1.1.1 and not 1.1.2 or the any of the iphone software builds. However, it makes more sense that apple has hidden support for external remotes because they wouldn't just accidentally forget to take out this gray overlay.

It has something to do when using the ipod touch with the ihome and I will give the exact instructions later today. All i know is that taking a screenshot of it isn't working out. Il post a pic and more info later.
  2. tomroper

tomroper New Member

Its for when you have your iPod in a universal dock, or like a bose soundsystem, nothing to exciting, but yes, you can use a apple remote when its in a dock, and yes the volume thing appears.

not really hidden, just not really used too often.

well done on a keen eye though.
  3. ecbtln

ecbtln New Member

interesting, any reason why i can get it to appear when it is not docked

all i have to do is

start playing a song, hit the home button and quickly drag the sound one way or another.
  4. simonrichards150

simonrichards150 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Same here

Any reason for that randomly being there?
  5. kinematic@yahoo.com

kinematic@yahoo.com New Member

You're talking about the mini-player? Double hit the home button and it brings it up. It's for controlling music and volume in any application you're in.

Always been there and not a bug.
  6. simonrichards150

Device:
    iPod touch
    No we are talking about the OSX-style volume overlay
  7. kinematic@yahoo.com

Well if it is truly the remote overlay, it shouldn't show up without it being docked? I cannot duplicate this behavior and I have a Universal dock, so don't know how you are doing this. Please detail how you bring it up.
  8. simonrichards150

Device:
    iPod touch
    Just start playing a song, in portrait mode, then press the home button and before it goes back to the home screen, change the volume. Then the overlay appears.
  9. kinematic@yahoo.com

Ah yes, now I see it... man you have to be quick to catch it, I don't usually try to adjust the volume after I hit home, but yeah it's the same icon when I use my remote. It also shows up while docked. I think it's a redraw bug of some sort. I'm also using 1.1.2 so it's still present there.
  10. ecbtln

ecbtln New Member

yeah i agree, it only appeared when i had it docked in my ihome. Funny thing is, I wasn't even trying to do something funny, just kind of was very clumsy this morning and my finger stumbled and all of a sudden i see the volume overlay.