iPod Touch has been to Hell and back, but I fear this may be the end.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by holbikwolff10, Apr 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. holbikwolff10

holbikwolff10 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    • Illegal/piracy-related discussions
    I have had my iPod Touch since the very end of 2007. It feels like such a short time ago that I was unboxing it, seeing that sleek front and reflective back. I remember spending the hour it took to set up. I remember using it to browse the Web for about 4 hours after that.

I had the thing for about a month, and it was the envy of my friends. When I first told them about it, they said it was stupid. But I knew they were wrong. One day I invited all my closest friends over, though, and they immediately loved it. They were all talking about the Nano being better for its small size, but they now saw how uneducated they had been.

After that, one of my friends - Alex - actually bought one. I actually envied him a little bitm because he had his engraved... Mine was from Wal-Mart. But I was happy to have a friend who followed me into the Touch realm. You know, it feels good to have an idea that others follow.

I remember one day at Alex's house when I came across an article about JailBreaking on WIRED.com, and needless to say I checked it out. I spent hours getting the files and knowledge I needed to downgrade to 1.1.2, and I look back seeing how easy it was and laugh (for those who haven't been with us so long, all you had to do was visit jailbreakme.com in Safari).

After it was jailbroken, we spent the next few days finding awesome apps and showing them to each other. I remember those days, with no Cydia. Everything went through Installer. It wasn't bad, though, because back then Installer was still usable. It hadn't been ruined yet. There weren't many Apps, but we were happy with TTR and a few others.

I definetely remember the 2.0 release. Alex actually saw it coming before me, although we still consider me the expert on the subject. It was a big thing, as you remember. I got into it because of the iPhone 3G. I wasn't interested at first, but when I saw that $199 price tag, I was dumbstruck. I was planning to sell the touch on eBay and get a 3G, but it didn't work out due to the new contract requirements. But I was happy enough with just pirating 2.0, as I couldn't pay for it.

The 2.0 release was my iPod's first trip to Hell. I was trying to use one of those restoring programs to JB, where you create the IPSW and then restore it yourself. I went about a month bricked before figuring out that I just needed to downgrade iTunes, and me and my iPod were reunited.

After that, I went a while before my next "trip to hell." It was caused because I wanted to unjailbreak, but things got a little complicated. I still to this day haven't figured out the problem, but I got it fixed in a day or two, so whatever.

After that, I jailbroke and injailbroke and so on and so on, until when 3.0 got announced. As soon as I found that the beta had been leaked, I jumped on the chance. I stayed on 3.0 for some time, putting up with an occasional glitch or two. Or twenty. But I took the glitches for granted, until one day when I connected to iTunes and forgot to disconnect from Internet. That was bad, because my iPod decided it couldn't connect to iTunes anymore. So I put it in DFU mode, but still more problems. It would tell me in iTunes I had to put in my passcode and I was unable to do so, as I was in DFU. So I came here for help, and I got it. Somebody told me to hold down "home" as I connected, and it worked. But then a new error.

And that brings me to the end. I download the new firmware to install, and it gives me the same error. "the iPod "iPod" could not be restored because an unknown error occured." So I suppose this is the end, unless you good people here have any ideas. I guess I mainly just posted this as a "goodbye" to the iPod, seeing as it wouldn't know if I said it to its face. So goodbye, iPod. I hope to be able to fix you, but I suppose Apple never meant you to last too long. I just wish you could. Goodbye.
  2. fckinfamous

fckinfamous Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    How about you try buying the firmware?
  3. MadMoney

MadMoney New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Couldn't u just state the last paragraph instead if writing all those paragraphs
  4. Brewstermax

Brewstermax New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Life story much? You pirated 3.0. You had to understand the risk that that entailed, by being unlegitimate, and installing it. But, DFU mode, try a different USB port, different computer, reinstall iTunes. You have been through everything with this iPod haven't you? I mean, dang. People like you are the reason that jailbreak is labeled "bad, piracy, and unstable". But just do the stuff in bold.
  5. mohaas05

mohaas05 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Your iPod is not "dead". It can easily be restored. If the error code is 101x, then you can ignore them. Then just use QuickPwn to rejailbreak.
  6. holbikwolff10

holbikwolff10 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I already have. And trust me, I am not like those people who label jailbreak bad, piracy, and unstable.
  7. AvodCS

AvodCS Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Can't really help, but Brewstermax's right. Try everything. And Google is your friend (a bunch of websites showed up when I googled that error).
  8. holbikwolff10

holbikwolff10 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I literally plain old can't afford it. I just literally CANT. I really want to, but have no credit cards and rarely get Gift Cards for iTunes.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I could, but I wanted the rest to make the goodbye more... You know, I actually care.
  9. Brewstermax

Brewstermax New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    How about going straight back down to 1.1.5 and then back up to 2.0, if possible.
  10. holbikwolff10

holbikwolff10 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    The error code is 21. It just doesn't restore, so I get stuck still in DFU.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Man, I wish I could, but it wont restore.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Thanks, though.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.