Ipod Touch hangup after Update

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 4.0 Speculation' started by aramos, Feb 3, 2010.

1. aramos

aramos New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hello,

i think this issue is a topic since several years but i´m new to iPod and i also browsed a lot of forums for a soultion of my problem without success. Today i started iTunes and it posted me an update message for iTunes AND for my iPod touch. I clicked "yes" and it started updating. My iPod Touch (bought in November 2009) was connected to my Laptop (running Windows7). An error message appeared saying the driver installation failed. No my iPod is locked in recovery mode (picture of usb cable and iTunes logo) and iTunes doesn´t recognize it any more. Device manager says that driver is not installed. I ran a driver update and it failed again. I reinstalled iTunes and still no driver installed for iPod. I didn´t care about the iPods firmware version before and now i can´t tell it anymore because the device is locked in recovery mode.
    I think i must not tell that previous to the failed update everything worked perfect.

Can anyone help please?
  2. Volcomstone000095

Volcomstone000095 Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Ok, So you are going to have to restore. A regular restore won't work if your computer does not recognize the iPod. You have to plug your iPod into the computer and then press and hold the power and home button for 10 seconds, and then after the 10 seconds is up, release the power button and continue holding the home button until your computer recognizes it. Then restore your iPod from there.
  3. iPhondTouch3G

iPhondTouch3G Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    ^^^that^^^. its called DFU mode. Or u could just try and hold the home and power buttons down for 10 sec. to see if it reboots.
  4. aramos

aramos New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks for the tipps! I really could get the iPod in DFU mode and iTunes recognized it. So far so good. Then it told me to recover and update the iPod and i proceeded. After extraction of the iPod sw and checking it with apple iTunes told me that an unkown error ocurred (error 1601) and recovery was aborted.
    The error message guided me to the apple support pages covering problems around usb mobile device drivers.
    I yet did all this stuff mentioned on the support pages down to the bones. The reinstallation of the device drivers always fails and windows told me that it could not find the drivers. I tried to reinstall them from my system partition, i tried to update them out of device manager, i deinstalled them ran a new device scan on the usb controller -always without success. I deinstalled iTunes completely and reinstalled it -nothing! I ran iTunes in administrator mode -nothing.
    Maybe the 9.0.3.15 doesn´t run clean on windows7? I will try to find an older version of iTunes and install it.

Please Register or Log in to view images

------------------double post merged------------------
    Now i installed iTunes 9.0.2.25. It´s exactly the same problem. Seems to me it has nothing to do with the iTunes version. Maybe the iPod recovery/update on my Windows7 NEVER worked and i just discovered it yesterday because it was my first one.
    Are there any mystique facts around iPod Touch updating i should now?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Now i also deleted the .ispw file and forced iTunes to reload it. Problem was the same. Abortion due to error 1601.
  5. aramos

aramos New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    OK, now i used my girl friend´s pc to install iTunes on windows xp. I followed the same procedure for the restore process - and it worked. After re-establishing the iPod i connected it again to my windows7 notebook and it still works ok!

So, there seems to be a problem with updating the ipod under windows7.

As far as i am concerned this thread is closed.