iPod touch got wet, speaker broken - what to do??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by multimolti, Jul 2, 2010.

1. multimolti

multimolti New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hi!
    On wednesday I did something very stupid: I put a bottle of water (750ml) in the same bag as my iPod touch, but it wasn't properly closed, so all the water went over my iPod.

I switched it off immediately, dried it with handkerchieves, put it in front of a fan for 6 hours and then in a bown of (not cooked) rice. There it stayed until today because I hoped that more than 48 hours would suck all the water out.

I switched it on today, everything is working perfectly, just the speakers are broken: I hear some cracking nose in the background ALL THE TIME, and when playing music or other sounds (from apps) I hear them really silently behind all the cracking noises.

What do you suggest to do? I think it's perfectly dry by now, so the hardware itself is damaged. Can I just walk into an Apple Store and say "hey, it broke, please fix it!"?
    Or, since it's jailbroken and I need to reset the OS anyway (and there is no possibility of resetting it to 3.1.x), can I say that I updated to iOS 4 because it's so awesome and this update broke my speakers?

Please help, thank you! I really can't afford to pay for repairing it right now!
  2. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Get a flashlight, look down the headphone jack and look for any red/pink colors. If you see it good luck getting a exchange.
  3. multimolti

multimolti New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    There appears to be some white piece of paper down there. What does it mean?
  4. ShizerMonkey

ShizerMonkey Banned

Device:
    iPad
    It changes it's colour when it gets wet.. If it's still white it's fine and you liable for a return only if it's under warranty that is !..
  5. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    That little white paper is called litmus paper, when it gets wet it changes to red to show the company if it got water damage so the warranty won't cover it.
  6. ShizerMonkey

ShizerMonkey Banned

Device:
    iPad
    Exactly !..
  7. multimolti

multimolti New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Okay, that's really cool. I bought it just 9 months ago and we have 2 years warranty here, so I can just go to the Apple Store and tell them to repair/replace it?
    Or should I better go to the retailer I bought it from (a local electronics market)?
  8. multimolti

multimolti New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thank you for your help!

I called the Apple Support on Monday and told them the iPod is broken, they send an UPS guy on Tuesday and I got a brand new iPod back today (Friday). That's some seriously nice support, didn't expect that. And all for free =)