Ipod Touch Gen 2 Sound Quality

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by nocode77, Mar 7, 2009.

1. nocode77

nocode77 New Member

Ok I just bought an Ipod Touch 2nd gen the other day, I have owned cheap mp3 players and I am shocked that the ipod's sound quality is not really good at all, I swear it sounds like a radio station quality, I have tried all eq presets and nothing, it has NO bass what so ever I have tried 128 bitrate and also 320 and still sounds like a radio, I paid good money for this thing I really expect the sound quality to be crystal clear, anyone else notice this or do I have maybe a defective ipod I just don't know.
  2. seanG

seanG Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Is that with the speaker? Because the speaker's not that good.
  3. nocode77

nocode77 New Member

oh sorry no i know the speaker is horrible I mean using the earphones its just not good sounding have heard better sounding cheap mp3 players
  4. jakew02

jakew02 New Member

There are a lot of things that affect the sound quality.

1. Headphones - cheap headphones will give bad sound quality. Noise-Cancelling Headphones will give you the best sound quality. Basically, the more you pay, usually the better it sounds, as far as headphones go.
    2. Speaker - The iPod's built-in speaker is nothing to be proud of.
    3. File Format - I always try to convert all my files to MP3, as it makes them smaller, but good quality as well. The format that the music comes from the iTunes Store is pretty good as well. WMA and WAV are garbage as far as sound quality compared to MP3 and the Apple default
  5. callum-m-r

callum-m-r New Member

Headphones.
    The ones that come with it are of course terrible.
    Sennheiser CX300 are entry level decent ones.
    I have the new Apple in ear ones for the remote + mic and seperate tweeter and woofer in each ear. Bass isn't amazing, but the seperate speakers make for brilliantly distinct sounds.
  6. nocode77

nocode77 New Member

Yeah I am using the ones that come with the ipod, I thought that the ones that came with it were good quality considering that you can buy the apple earbuds for like 40 dollars so i figured the ones that came with it were good
  7. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Whatever headphones will obviously change the sound quality. The iPod touch 2G is actually one of the better players out there, bass is quite full and soundstage from it is one of the best.
    @ jakew02:
    Since when was noise cancelling technology the best? They usually in fact reduce less noise than really good noise isolating IEM's. Also, since when is WAV rubbish? It's pretty good for lossless, and AAC is not Apple's format...
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    And there's your problem: Your earbuds... get a decent pair of headphones and enjoy your music

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. seanG

seanG Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Haha I think we all know Chung know what he's talking about when it comes to headphones.

9. callum-m-r

callum-m-r New Member

They're $40 seperate cos of Apple tax. They're still terrible.
    As I said, if you don't wanna pay much at all (less than Apple's in many places) get some CX300s. I have the 500s and the Apple in ears, both are good enough.

Most in-ear sealed ones (with the rubber cone) are pretty good. Pure music, and if you pause it you can still hear enough to not have to take them out crossing a road or something.
  10. nocode77

nocode77 New Member

Ok well I will look into a new pair sometime this week, im affraid of buying a big headphone set, they usually have great bass response but im affraid cause its big it might drain the ipod battery faster and i don't want that. lol