Ipod Touch Gen 1 Restore Problem - Stuck at "waiting for ipod"

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by imafrustrated, May 9, 2009.

1. imafrustrated

imafrustrated New Member

Hi Guys and Gals,

This was initially posted in the general chat but I hadn't noticed this subforum. I was hoping those who look in this section would be able to help.

First up, I have looked around and search the forum and google too. I even looked at the sticky "how to fix your ipod touch" that winterboard put up. Some people have talked about this problem but never post whether restoring fixes the problem. Also no other solutions seem to have appeared on the forum or google for that matter.

If I have overlooked a solution to this problem please kindly point me in that direction.

Background to my problem:

My device was pretty much stuffed and got stuck on the apple logo when I turned it on. So I have been trying to restore it since. I put in in DFU mode and the "connected to usb" picture came up on the device. In iTunes (v8.1), when I clicked on restore, it checked for the latest ipod software (2.2.1)and downloaded it. Then automatically extracted and did it's thing.

The problem I have now is that my ipod touch is stuck in the "waiting for ipod" point during restore process. It's been like that since. So I unplugged the device and redid the whole procedure (several times).

It seems that the progress bar on the ipod touch itself is completed and then appears to be stuck at that point and has not done anything else.

I am using windows XP SP3.

As far as I know, people have mentioned trying restore and putting the device in DFU mode as well as ensuring that everything is up to date.

Everything is up to date and I have tried restore and put the device in DFU mode to restore as well.

Also the other thing I wanted to ask was whether it is possible to install the latest OS (2.2.1) on the ipod touch Gen 1, as I haven't actually paid for the version 2 OS. As far as I understand, you have to pay $9.95 for the version 2 OS for the Gen 1 ipod touch. It seemed to me that the iTunes software just found the lastest OS and tried to install it. Is this supposed to happen? or am I doing something wrong?

That's basically all I have to ask. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give you guys and gals all the info I had on my problem. I really hope someone can help.

Finally, thanking you in advance for reading my post and also thanking those who post in reply.
  2. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Try using a different Windows User account?
  3. Jacob

Jacob Well-Known Member

Use the recovery loop link in my signature.
  4. imafrustrated

imafrustrated New Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your posts.

Will give them a try and let you know how it goes.

Cheers.

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. Jacob

Jacob Well-Known Member

6. imafrustrated

imafrustrated New Member

Hi

It's been a couple of days, but I can't seem to connect my ipod touch to perform the recovery loop operation.

I plugged in the ipod whilst holding down the home button until the apple logo appeared but it never seems to connect. The usb picture no longer appears.

So I turned off the ipod by holding down the power and home button. Waited for a minute then held both buttons again until the apple logo appeared. I then let the power button go immediately and continue to hold the home button waiting for the usb connect picture to appear.

Nothing seems to happen. I checked the device manager and it has no record of the ipod being connected and the ipod just has the apple logo on it.

I also tried a different user account on the computer and a different desktop computer. I also tried on a notebook as well, to no avail. I also tried leaving the ipod plugged in to the computer hoping for a connection but nothing. So at this point it appears that the ipod is stuck at the apple logo and doesn't connect to the computer.

Prior to posting, it was connecting to the computer, so I'm not sure why it isn't doing so now. Any ideas? Is there anything I can do to get it to connect to the computer?

Has anyone encountered such a problem before? Did they get it to connect again?

HELP
  7. fckinfamous

fckinfamous Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Most likely your timing is not right, theirs a certain time you need to do in order to enter DFU mode.
  8. imafrustrated

imafrustrated New Member

When you plug in the ipod, it automatically turns the ipod on. So before plugging it in, I hold down the home button and plug it in. I then keep holding the home button for 7 seconds as recommended by jawcl's recovery loop instructions. Nothing comes up. So I turn the ipod off and wait a minute before holding both the power button and home button together for about 7 seconds (sometimes up to 12sec) and the apple logo pops up. Then I immediately let the power button go and continue to hold the home button for 7 secs. Ususally nothing happens and I let the home button go and just wait. Then once in a while the usb connect pict will show and the computer recognises the ipod. But recently it doesn't occur.

Out of the last 10 to 15 tries, it connected once. Then when I restored, it cut out half way through the restore. It just disconnected from the computer itself. So I'm not sure what is going on.

When it does restore fully, it gets stuck at the "waiting for ipod" part of the process.
  9. PatIsLegend

PatIsLegend New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i've been out of the ipod touch scene for awhile now due to a broken itouch, so i'm not up to date on everything yet, but i have an old program that may be able to help. if you're having trouble getting it into DFU mode, this program can do it without having to hold any buttons. at least this way you can be sure it's not you that's the problem. it's called ZiPhone, used to be the main jailbreaking program people used. I upoloaded it here:

http://www.[PIRACY.mf].com/?sharekey=03659b1ce621a6d68d78a0e555291609e04e75f6e8ebb871

there's a batch file in the zip folder I uploaded that says "DFU mode", just unzip the folder and click that. it will put your ipod into DFU mode, then you can just delete the folder if you want and try to restore with itunes. hope this helps.
  10. imafrustrated

imafrustrated New Member

Thanks. Will try it and let you know how it goes.