iPod Touch Freezes Computer Durring Sync help

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Johnny L, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Johnny L

Johnny L New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me and my problem. Anytime I connect my iPod to my comp for syncing or charging it freezes my whole computer. The mouse doesn't move nothing is responding.. it's frozen.. this happeneds every time for me, i have to turn it off from the back (the on and off switch) and then windows does the percentage blue screen the chkdis thing.. it is very annoying please any ideas.

Here is what i have done many times already:
    -Reinstall iTunes.
    -Reset my iPod by erasing all content.
    -Set iPod back to factory defaults.
    -Using a Different Wire for syncing.

Here are my Specs:
    -iPod Touch: 1G, 8Gigs, 3.1.2(7D11), Model MA623LL
    -iTunes: 9.0.2.25 (iTunes 9/newest)
    -Computer: PC, Windows XP
    -File System: Fat32, Total Space-32.7gigs, Free Space-10.6gigs

Please Help ='(
  2. Jacob

Jacob Well-Known Member

You must just have a slow computer, my old Windows XP computer does that too. I don't think there's a way to fix it, maybe your disk is slow, could be your RAM, maybe your processor....
  3. Johnny L

Johnny L New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    ahhh how lame.. all my music and videos are on this crap.. well thank you for your input
  4. Jodene =o)

Jodene =o) Member

Device:
    iPad 4
    If you do a CTRL ALT DEL, you will find that Itunes uses 99%/100% of your computer's ram when it syncs! Itunes really needs to fix that, haha....

And it takes a while to sync because it's probably running a backup...

There is one way to stop that so it only does it when YOU want to do a backup.... if you have Zonealarm???

Set up your firewall to "ask" you about Itunes, not automatically allow it to do things.

To do this, open Zonealarm, go to Program Control on the left, Choose Programs, and scroll thru your list till you see Zonealarm. Just allow the first two ticks as you see in my example (unless you want Zonealarm to ask you if it can go online each time you open it). Leave the other two as question marks.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Then do the same for the next 3 programs, but leave ALL FOUR as question marks (not just the 2 as per my example above.)

MDCrashReportTool.exe
    AppleMobileBackup.exe
    AppleMobileSync.exe

Then.. when you open Itunes and attach your iPod... and push sync... you will get 3 alerts as each part of the syncing process starts.. which you can allow or deny for faster syncs...

For example.. when I sync... the first alert asks

So... Push Deny if you don't want a backup to start. Which you don't want... each time! But don't forget to do one every so often!!!

You will then get this one:

Again push deny... and you will see that it doesn't go thru that whole slow down backup, but starts to go straight into syncing on your applications/new music you had added.

After that is finished, which is dependent on how much you are adding... but should be no time at all!!! then the final alert asks:

This one is for the syncing of photos/contacts/bookmarks part - Again.. allow or deny if you want to do it, or not. Usually do it the first time.. or if you have changes in your bookmarks or added new pics, etc... but otherwise you can push deny.

Then you will find that the sync is finished! Yay! But Itunes may throw up this box:

But this is understandable, because you didn't backup... so no problems, just push OK.. and you should be up and working again in a few minutes instead of that horribly long time it used to take.

Hope this helped! I know it works for me and severely cuts my syncing time down to a few minutes, tailored to HOW I want my syncs to go.

** EDIT ** Actually, now I re-read your post, you don't say how much RAM you have... as yes, that may be your problem too. You can find out by going to START/SETTINGS/CONTROL PANEL then SYSTEM -

Anything under 1gb.. and you're probably going to have problems as your computer struggles to run the programmes... but doing what I suggested above may ease the problem somewhat.
  5. cardinalsrule109

cardinalsrule109 Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Get a Mac.

No, but really, just use Control, Alt, Delete, and delete the processes you don't need.
  6. Johnny L

Johnny L New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    haha oh wow nice call, I have 512MB of RAM.
    So ram = my computer speed.
    How do i get more? either get a new comp or open it up and replace the hard drive or?
    I would try the Zonealarm but it cost money when i looked at their site ='(
  7. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    To get more RAM you'll need to go to Best Buy and buy some. Then you'll open the computer and put it in.
  8. Jodene =o)

Jodene =o) Member

Device:
    iPad 4
    No.. Zonealarm is free - here

512mb of ram is a little under what you would like, but it's common and should be enough to kind of chug thru. Ideally, yes, you would like more, but you can just buy it from a store and open up the computer and snap it in. Depending where you live, it's relatively inexpensive nowadays (In NZ it's about $75/$100 for another 512mb which is only half that or less in US Dollars).

Or just take your computer box into a computer place and ask them to help you with it.. it won't take them more than 5-10 minutes to do.

If you're still not sure, look at youtube videos on how to replace/install/upgrade RAM. Like I said.. it's easy.
  9. dunuck

dunuck Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You know you could get very powerful/efficient computer (i7 quad core cpu, 6gb ddr3 etc) for under 1000$
  10. Jacob

Jacob Well-Known Member

I don't think he needs a Core i7 lol. Get a small newer Windows 7 computer for like $500 if you really need to get a new one and that would be fast enough. Upgrading that RAM would help also because your computer probably is running too many programs (i.e. virus protection, etc.).