iPod touch filled with "other" files

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by now5589, Jan 4, 2009.

1. now5589

now5589 New Member

I have had my touch for a couple weeks now and everything has been fine. Today I took the music off so I could reorganize and add more. When I pressed "Sync" it said there wasn't enough space to hold all my music, I looked at the bottom and it said there was 6 GB of "other" files. Does anyone know how I can delete those files.
  2. ZunePod

ZunePod Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    SSH in and delete the music folder
  3. Aestysu

Aestysu Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    restore? other than that i dont know.
  4. now5589

now5589 New Member

well I'm kinda new to this...what does "SSH" stand for?

and I already tried restoring, and it didn't work.
  5. angelzz

angelzz New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i had this problem twice.

i don't know this will work for you or no, but it works for me.
    go to edit-preferences-devices-disable automatic syncing for ipod or iphone.

i've tried to do some search about this problem on google , but i didnt find any solution , and some forums say just disable the auto sync.
  6. Sape

Sape New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I know this problem as probably already been solved, but this problem has happened to me several times, and for future reference, this has helped me.

Close iTunes.

SSH into your iPod, go to /private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/ and delete the contents of the Artwork, iTunes, and Music folders.

Re-open iTunes while holding downing Shift. A dialog box will open saying that iTunes needs a library to continue. Select 'Create Library...' and make a new iTunes library somewhere simple like your desktop or My Documents (as it can be deleted later.) Hit 'Save' and iTunes will open with no songs or anything in it.

Go to your iPod and it will ask you to set up your iPod, saying, 'An iPod has been previously synced with this computer.' Select 'Set up as new iPod' and hit continue. Uncheck everything and hit done.

Close iTunes again, and re-open again while holding Shift, this time hit 'Select Library' and navigate to your original .itl file.

Go to your iPod and set it up to sync. When you hit Apply, it'll ask you to Erase and Sync.

It takes a little more time than restoring, but it saves you from having to reinstall all your Cydia apps and themes. Just deleting the files in the iTunes_Control folder has never worked for me, because iTunes would never resync the files, but so far this has worked every time. I haven't tried the Disable Auto Sync method, though.
  7. HRVAT1975E

HRVAT1975E New Member

SSH into your iPod, go to /private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/ and Check the contents of Music folder for Mp4-video's and erase them & that's it-- Mp4 Video's get in there somehow and STAY there, & shows up as "other"........ As soon as you delete the mp4-vid's, open iTUNES and you'll See(Well u should-hopefully..lol) your "other" files go Waaaaaaaay down..... This problem has been buggin' me 4 a while, Damn Finally I get my Gigs back... Well Good luck!!!!!!
  8. hotwater10

hotwater10 Banned

I think he has a 2nd gen guys.
  9. xephyr

xephyr Member

ok, when it says that there is "Other" files. It means that there was an incomplete or interrupted sync. Try to re sync it if possible. Maybe it will work. Idk worked for me and i had 2.3 gigs of other
  10. orange.7

orange.7 Member

have you jailbroken your ipod?