iPod Touch Fans = Uptight Smart Asses

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by Mr530, Jul 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr530

Mr530 New Member

Hello Everybody,

I would like to begin that this thread will probably be flamed immediatley, with offers for me to go join a different online community or other wise remarks or even be closed/deleted- but only proving my point that iPod Touch Fans has transformed from the scene's frontier to a uptight b*tching forum.

With the new "Everything is illegal so don't talk about it policy" this site has truly gone downhill from its origins. Jailbreaking, pwning, roms, emulators, custom firmwares, unofficial third party apps are ALL ILLEGAL. I just don't see how such a clear line can be drawn as to what's acceptable and what's not since all of these seem to be in the same grey area. Modified Firmware = reverse engineering/illegal. Roms are always illegal even if you own the game... roms are only "not illegal" if you rip them yourself, and even at that point the copyright law can still be questioned. Unofficial third party apps, especially those compiled with a leaked SDK or one not registered from Apple. It's "illegal" to get the direct link leak of the firmware. There is truly nothing about the homebrew community that is 100% legal. That's not to say that this should become a breeding ground for cracking apps, but I feel the flaming, intensity, and the "dude come on just be a good person and pay the asking price," and "next time please clarify otherwise you will be banned" is ridiculous.

So many people here have been able to jailbreak/pwn their ipods several times by following tutorials or tinkering around themselves using a premade gui. Now all of a sudden, anybody who has edited a .plist is an iPod expert, who is getting sick of wasting their time helping some "noob" how to change their icons. I think its ridiculous that so many people think that they are some type of guru/cyber vigilante who is going to bring good to the community.

Here are just a few examples of people's smart ass uptightness

iTouchDown, new member, asks where to find the firmware file once it has been purchased from iTunes
    gojohnnyboi (not boy, but boi) confronts him by telling him to be legal and pay for the update. (almost indirectly accusing one of criminal activites)
    http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83694

Masky64, a long time member, asks for the Notes.png
    super51fan calls that illegal. But wait, its okay to reverse engineer a firmware, but its not okay to retrieve a png. Are people also not allowed to share custom boot logos if it contains the COPYRIGHTED apple logo in it?

Please Register or Log in to view images

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83776

and my personal favorite "prank by me" called the "PS3 emulator"
    Some people were legitimately offended: i thought things insulting sexuality relgion ethnicity among other things were offensive. but apparently a spoof is enough to ruin someone's day.
    http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56464

So in conclusion, the new polices are a load of bull, and I can't wait to see the flames, offers to leave, and smart remarks that follow this post. Nothing here is 100% legal, so I don't see the point in the strictness. Many of you need to take a chill pill and calm down. Cracking down on what you believe as "copyright infringement" by no means makes you a good Samaritan.

If a rant like this is enough to get one banned, then I would like to say that I enjoyed these forums in the pre-jailbreak to 1.1.4 era.
  2. AngelSynth

AngelSynth Banned

here's your ticket for a 4 night cruise on the Ban-Boat
  3. jfb392

jfb392 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Custom firmware, jailbreaking, pwning, and third party applications are not illegal.
    I didn't bother reading anything after that.
  4. 101gfx

101gfx New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    QFT.
    /But some of your argument doesn't really correlate.
  5. andydam

andydam Banned

So true. Sob. What a nice post. I seriously mean it. You said everything I would of said.
  6. Mr530

Mr530 New Member

they are not morally wrong (by many peoples definition on this website), but they are by no means legal.

ethically sound does not equal legally sound
  7. darc10222

darc10222 Banned

I came in here just to be a smart-ass and post a stupid comment, but I find myself agreeing with your post.
  8. jfb392

jfb392 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    They aren't even close to illegal.
  9. Rawd

Rawd New Member

Here's my take..

-The mods and operator/owners of this site do not want to be shut down due to illegal discussion/links to illegal material.

-The mods and operator/owner of this site do want this site to be a place of discussion for the iPod touch. It turns out that most of the discussion ended up being about jailbreaking.

-Jailbreaking/running 3rd party apps is 100% Legal

-Copying/playing roms for emulators is 100% illegal and not to be discussed here.

-Copying/playing/hacking app store applications and apple update software is 100% illegal and not to be discussed here.

I really don't see what you are upset about. It is pretty easy to follow, and the rules are there to protect this site, and the developers that come here. There are other places that you can discuss these things
  10. 101gfx

101gfx New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yeah, they are completely legal. And I don't really like how you throw the entire community down the drain. I agree with you about that average newbie editing a .plist, or SSHing a custom .png, and thinking they're l33t h4x0rs, and deserve to have their tutorials stickied etc.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.