iPod touch Fans is 1 year old

Discussion in 'Latest Tech News and Rumors' started by bgizzle, Sep 13, 2008.

1. bgizzle

bgizzle Administrator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6

Please Register or Log in to view images

It's not a lie: iPod touch Fans has really been around for 10^-2 centuries! When I started this site a year ago, I had no idea it would grow to be so large and vibrant, and I think that before I say anything else, some thanks are in order.

Thanks to all of the staff, past and present, who put in blood, sweat, and tears to keep this site clean and organized, and to all of the people that have sent words of encouragement or ideas for improvement for helping shape the site. Most importantly, though, thanks to the members, the thousands of you that visit and post on a daily basis, helping and entertaining each other while building a community: the site would not be what it is today without all of you!

Over the last year, it is true that we've had our fair share of problems: mostly growing pains both on the community side and on the technical side of things. For ever mistake we've made or crisis we've dealt with, though, we've learned a lot and have been constantly improving the site. As we enter our second year of operation, these are some of the things I, the staff, and hopefully you, the community members, will be focusing on:

• Maintaining a fun and helpful environment for all levels of expertise. The stricter rules have really helped on this front, but we can still improve a lot. This will take a commitment from the members to keep this place fun as well as work from the staff on further tweaking the rules.
    • Keeping things organized! Sooner than we think, we'll have 1,000,000 posts on the site, and things need to stay organized and easy to surf. Members can help by posting in the correct section and searching before creating a new thread. On our end, over the next few months, we will have to face the task of reorganizing our growing number of sections in a way that makes them both easy to surf as well as not overwhelming. Ideas and feedback are welcome.
    • Keeping things fast! Last Tuesday exposed both a strength and a weakness of iPod touch Fans. Our willingness to embrace new technologies allowed us to air a successful meta-liveblog of the Apple event, but our practice of trying to get the most out of as little server equipment as possible meant that the main forums were not performing at an acceptable level. I have already started the process of getting better servers to run the various parts of iPod touch Fans well

• Remaining a place for innovation. This means both making sure that piracy is not discussed in ANY way (which I think we're doing a fairly good job at) as well as catering better to the needs of developers. Again, feedback would be appreciated.
    • Staying up to date on news. Ever since its launch, our news page has been getting great traffic and has been guiding people to the latest, most relevant information on the site. However, the complaints about the relatively infrequent updates and lack of original pieces ring true, so we are looking to improve this already. You can already help now by submitting well-written, interesting, non-copy&paste news in our Front Page News Submissions section, but I hope to also recruit a team dedicated to not only reporting things that happen, but going out and finding interesting stories for our community.
    There are many other things that I want to improve, large and small, but the ones I mentioned above should give you an idea of the direction I want the site to head in its second year. With the release of the Second Generation iPod touch, it seems almost certain that the iPod touch is a hit and that Apple will continue cranking it out for years, and we hope to remain the top community centered on this great device.
  2. The Baydestrian

The Baydestrian Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
  3. IPT_FTW

IPT_FTW Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Heh, nice. I wonder what's gonna happen in the future.
  4. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
  5. bgizzle

bgizzle Administrator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    or so you claim

6. mikec1985

mikec1985 Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    Wow i joined in dec 07 and it just feels a lot longer then that its weird oh well congrats
  7. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I do not claim. It is the Universal Truth!*

*Results may Vary.​
  8. wibble

wibble New Member

Where's the cake?
  9. Numb

Numb Member

Device: