Ipod touch+external ip issues

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by urkrnboy90, Sep 20, 2008.

1. urkrnboy90

urkrnboy90 New Member

Hello, i'm trying to connect my ipod touch to my macbook. The issue is that I cannot connect outside my wifi connection; when I'm connected, for example, at a starbucks wifi connection, I cannot access my macbook via ipod touch. I have an app called mocha lite vnc that allows me connect to my macbook when I'm connected through my home network, however when I'm outside it I can't connect.

I am aware that this is due to the fact that I need to connect via EXTERNAL/PUBLIC ip address when I'm outside my home wifi network. So, knowing this, I went to dyndns.com and added a host with the address xx.xxx.xxx.xx and with a dns name (example.exampledns.org).

I know this is very confusing to explain, but please bare with me! To continue on...at dyndns.com, when I put my EXTERNAL IP into the host address, my ipod touch cannot connect. However, when i put my local/internal ip address, my ipod touch CAN connect (obviously because I'm connected through my home wifi connection). Can anyone help me out? I've looked just about everywhere (even in these forums) but found no solution.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

-J
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    wow, anyone? -_-

i just want to know if mocha lite vnc can connect to an external ip address, thats all -____-
  2. jakecigar

jakecigar New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You probably did not open up the firewall(DMZ) on your router!
    Your router supports multiple computers on your home network. You have to tell the router that it should forward certain ports to your computer (and not your mother's)

Dyndns is only half the solution.
  3. urkrnboy90

urkrnboy90 New Member

I don't think that the DMZ/firewall should have any concern to this. Ports are forwarded correctly and so everything should be working fine. I actually got my ipod touch to connect to my macbook's external ip address today (yayers!), however, I found out that my desktop has the same external ip address -_-;; I didn't know this could happen, nor if it was normal.

I just want to know how to connect to my pc via ipod touch OUTSIDE my house connection!! Does NO ONE know how? Or is there not a solution. I've been looking around the internet for 3.5 hours now trying to find a solution and still no answers.

Sigh..
  4. jakecigar

jakecigar New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    never mind... you obviously know too much about networking,
  5. urkrnboy90

urkrnboy90 New Member

Haha, well I may know a lot about networking...but I don't know how to connect my ipod to my macbook outside my house

Please Register or Log in to view images

If I could get a vpn software for my macbook and allow my ipod to connect to it, that'd be great. However, I have yet to find any reliable vpn software, or sites, and even if i do, I'm not 100% sure as to how to config my Ipod in connecting to it.

(Btw, don't spoonfeed me about going to general settings>>network>>vpn>>etc because I know THAT. I just don't know what to put IN those inputs within the vpn menu.)