Ipod Touch Ext Speaker

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by molsonman73, Nov 26, 2007.

1. molsonman73

molsonman73 New Member

Why is it that when they built the iphone they put a ext speaker on it to hear the ringer, but when they made the ipod touch they left out the ext speaker, if it was there for the iphone then why wouldn't they leave it for the touch then they would have been able to use the same mould when they made the touch, will there ever be a ext speaker on a ipod touch.
  2. romeboards

romeboards Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    notice how much smaller and lighter the touch is.. plus it would give the iphone too much competition
  3. AlexRADL

AlexRADL Retired Moderator

An external speaker would make the iPod touch a lot bulkier, and apple would have a hard time trying to find a selling point for the touch. The iPod touch does not need an external speaker, think about it, did other iPods have external speakers? However, the iPhone did need an external speaker for the phone functions such as speaker phone.
  4. kevio

kevio New Member

I posted a rough concept image of a possible cradle for the iPoT. I made it thinking it would have more room than the current solution for mic input in that thread. It would be awesome if something like this were developed.
    Here is the post...
    http://www.ifans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=86822&postcount=89
  5. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

Interesting concept, but I think that would be too bulky.

In response to the original question, there would be nearly no differentiating the touch from the iPhone, and to keep the weight down. There would also be quality issues with the sound, and a price elevation.
  6. kevio

kevio New Member

An extra inch on each end is too bulky? Have you seen the options currently available for speakers? This concept would give you audio input and output, a microphone and stereo speakers. Basically allowing you to record stereo audio or play it back as well as use the iPod as a VOIP phone. I don't think you could add all that in a slimmer design.
  7. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

I realize that this is a very slim and elegant design. I realize that these are HUGE features being made available with this small attachment. I just feel that as an iPod, it is a bit large. As a Phone, this is FANTASTIC, you have everything in a thin compact design, with the beautiful speaker and microphone. I just feel as an iPod it wouldn't work. I hope I did not offend you, as I was not intending to and actually quite like the design.
  8. kevio

kevio New Member

No problem at all. I just wanted to make sure I was clear on the features the concept was meant to include. I see what you are saying. As an iPod you would probably only want the speakers and maybe audio I/O.
  9. markymarkdotcom

markymarkdotcom New Member

This is such a sweet, sleek looking design! I'd reccomend a camera on the top at the back as well, and maybe make it a clamp style instead of a 45 degree swivel dock
  10. kevio

kevio New Member

Thanks. What do you mean by "clamp"? You mean like the ends spread apart, you set the iPoT in the middle and then slide it back together?