iPod touch - Essential Information Q&A

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by AutoItKing, Nov 29, 2007.

1. AutoItKing

AutoItKing New Member

Here are some questions that have been answered many times about various things:
    Many of these are asked so many times, by not so smart people, no offense.

Q: Is it OK to charge my iPod all the time? Won't it destroy the battery?
    A: It's absolutely fine. Actually, it's good for it. Draining your battery completely damages it, thus shortening its life. Unlike NiCd's and NiMH's, you should charge it often and early. And if you are going to store your iPod for a long time without use, get it to about 80% charge and put it in your fridge. This preserves the battery. Actually, you should do this with all batteries. Just don't freeze it, that destroys it. Read on WikiPedia for more info about Li-Ion's.

Q: When I jailbreak, can I get WiFi anywhere? Like the iPhone?
    A:
    No. WiFi has a range of usually a maximum of 1000 feet, with a special antenna. You must have a wireless router to use it. And besides, the iPhone can't get WiFi everywhere, only near an Access Point. Again: WikiPedia

Q: Is jailbreaking illegal? Does it void the warranty?
    A:
    No, Apple just doesn't like it. However, putting the iPhone apps on it, along with ROMs is illegal. No, it does not void your warranty. (according to Chriswells1993) As long as you restore it before you return it for whatever reason you need to, your warranty will still be upheld.

Q: My iPod crashed! What do I do?
    A:
    First, try holding down the home button for a few seconds. If nothing happens, force restart by holding down the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons for a few seconds. If that fails, force restore. But not before restarting it. Remember, the iPod touch cannot be bricked.

Q: Is there Flash for the iPod touch?
    A:
    No. Flash requires a fast CPU, faster than the 412Mhz the N45AP provides (on Windows). Maybe, if Apple figures out how to make flash extremely light and fast on a slow CPU, then maybe. And I know the Nokia tablet has a custom flash program written for it, and it alone, it is light, and made to work on a slower CPU. Maybe, just maybe, Apple will write flash for the iPod touch. But as of right now, there is no flash for the iPod.

Q: What about Java?
    A:
    See above. Although, it has been made run on mobile phones with really slow CPU's, but it is a very crippled version without all of the features as a PC. And no, Java is not the same as JavaScript.

Q: What if I mess up jailbreaking? Bricked my iPod?
    A:
    Restore. Period. Do NOT send it back to Apple, they will know you jailbroke it and will not give you a replacement. And you didn't brick it.

Q: Does it have Bluetooth?
    A:
    No. And nobody will ever find it either, it's just not there. Suck it up and move on. Although it would be cool.

Q: What about EDGE?
    A:
    See above. It's not a cell phone.

Q: How can I jailbreak without a computer?
    A:
    Go to jailbreakme.com or slovix.com/touchfree

Q: Why aren't there movies on Mobile iTunes?
    A:
    Because it would take forever to download it. Huge files, most of them are half a gig. And why would you want to anyways? It has YouTube!

If you ever encounter problems with your iPod, just force restore. And if that doesn't help after the third time of doing it, send it to me and I'll fix it for you. And if I say it's totally done for, then you can send it to Apple. Which won't happen.

Any more you think I should add? (Any more stupid questions?)

Also, see here for a great compilation of how to links: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3884
    And: Way To Frequently Asked Questions
    1 person likes this.
  2. Rdude

Rdude Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Bluetooth!!!!
  3. AutoItKing

AutoItKing New Member

TY, added. Anything else?
  4. avaloncourt

avaloncourt New Member

One of the common ones was NO there is no microphone on the touch.

Oh yeah, and "What's the dot?" (Light sensor)
  5. AliasMrJones

AliasMrJones New Member

These are utterly ridiculous things to say given that (a) Flash runs on a <400 mhz processor in the nokia tablet and (b) Java runs on cell phones and other platforms with a slower and less capable processor than the iphone/itouch.
  6. AutoItKing

AutoItKing New Member

Oh, hey! I forgot about that! TY for reminding me.

Although those are both crippled versions with less features.
  7. Blake

Blake Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Good Job,
    Im going to stickie this as long as you keep it updated.
  8. AutoItKing

AutoItKing New Member

Many thanks!

Just stumbled upon another one. Added and answered.
  9. lolkobolko

lolkobolko New Member

hmmmm...... is it just me or in the safari settings i have an option to turn javascript off and on....
  10. AutoItKing

AutoItKing New Member

If you're saying that the iPod touch does have Java: Java and JavaScript are two totaly different things.