ipod touch dropped in sea water. Help plz!!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jinhuynh, Nov 8, 2007.

1. jinhuynh

jinhuynh New Member

I accidentally dropped my Touch in sea water when going fishing last weekend. It was in the water less than 3 seconds and still playing the time I pulled it up (the headphone was still intact). I turned it off immediately but it turned very hot later for nearly 1 hour. I haven't recharged it yet. What should I do now? Is there any ways to solve this or I gotta buy a new one (which is the last thing I do). I checked the water sensor, it's turned color yet. Should I just send it to Apple Service and say "I don't know why?". Any helps will be appreciated.
  2. Corsairkid

Corsairkid New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Im pretty sure if you sent it to apple, they would be able to tell you dropped it in water, mostly because there would probably still be water inside the touch. just let it sit for few days and dont do anything with it. then try it and see what happens.
  3. Complexis

Complexis Retired Moderator

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I don't know about the salt... which would may do some damage, and the inside may have some color change from oxidation, but whatever the case, try using a blowdrier to help the water evaporate faster. Thats what I did when I dropped my iPod into a shallow puddle.
  4. AlexRADL

AlexRADL Retired Moderator

Let it dry, DO NOT PLUG IT IN! The worst thing you could do is plug it in. Let it dry for a couple days.
  5. Blake

Blake Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Water Sensor?
    Didnt know there was one...
  6. Complexis

Complexis Retired Moderator

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Its actually just a circle of litmus paper located at the base of the headphone jack. If makes contact with water, it irreversibly changes color. As primitive and unadvanced as it is, its still a water sensor. lol.
  7. Rawd

Rawd New Member

I never knew this. I look inside my headphone jack and can see something shiny and white. Is this so Apple will know if it was dropped in water?
  8. AlexRADL

AlexRADL Retired Moderator

Probably. They don't want people getting new iPods just because they dropped theirs in water. They have to have some way of seeing if it has water damage.
  9. Blake

Blake Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Ohh
    HEHE
    I learned something.
  10. RedRoo

RedRoo New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    hang on...
    and what about when i install Invisible Schield/BSE that requires some water being added? Wouldnt it change that litmus paper bit?
    but they are NOT supposed to be voiding the warranty...