iPod touch doesn't stream radio smoothly on iOS 4

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pdedecker, Aug 9, 2010.

1. pdedecker

pdedecker New Member

Ever since I upgraded to iOS 4 on my third-gen iPod touch, it feels like radio streams don't play as smoothly as they used to. Often the streams will stop playing automatically because the iPod can't buffer enough audio.

I tried streams from different domains in dedicated iPhone radio tuner apps and using Safari's QuickTime plugin. They stream smoothly for the most part in Winamp (on my laptop).

Here are two of the streams I've tried:
    http://radiostreams.cbc.ca/cbc-cbcr1hfx-96.m3u - CBC Radio One Halifax
    http://somafm.com/dronezone24.pls - SomaFM Drone Zone

iPod touch speed test (Speedtest.net iPhone app):
    15.38 Mbps down | 1.81 Mbps up | 97 ms ping

Laptop speed test (Speedtest.net):
    7.44 Mbps down | 0.78 Mbps up | 47 ms ping

Both speed tests were performed using the server located in Capelle, Belgium. I used the same WiFi access point for both devices. The iPod and laptop were sitting on the same desk when I performed the speed test.

Could it be that this is a software issue? Is anyone else experiencing similar problems?
  2. S1xtyG33K

S1xtyG33K Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    It might be a connection issue. See the song will come out choppy or very bad depending on the KBs per seconds. If the rate of the KBs divided by the size and total time of the song is low. Your bound to getting issues with it.
  3. pdedecker

pdedecker New Member

I'm not even getting the choppy quality most of the time. The stream takes long to load and usually stops after ten seconds because it's unable to buffer enough audio within a certain amount of time.