iPod touch does not charge when plugged in

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by BaconMunch, Nov 28, 2007.

1. BaconMunch

BaconMunch New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I ran a search and haven't seen anything similar to my issue.
    My iPod touch lights up to the low battery charging screen but after leaving it over night there is no change. And no my computer doesn't go into sleep mode or anything.

When the iPod touch was recognized in iTunes, the battery showed up beside my iPod name but it was bare and no charging symbol. I haven't been able to restore because I can't get enough juice in the thing to let it get into springboard so I can force restore.

Any ideas? I'm on a laptop and all my USB's should be 2.0.

Update: Here is an image of the iPod plugged in with no charging action

Please Register or Log in to view images

Do you think this is a software or hardware issue?
  2. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

The first thing is to eliminate (or identify) your USB ports as the cultprit. Do you have another computer (or even a powered USB hub) where you can plug it into, or access to one? Even a powered dock from a previous generation iPod will do. If it charges then, your USB ports are to blame. (Assuming you have tried all of your USB ports and have had nothing else plugged into them while your iPod was plugged in.)

If it still doesn't charge even then, I suspect your Touch has a problem with the DC-In lines, which will necessitate you either RMAing it to Apple Care or calling to make an appointment with a Mac Genius at your nearest Apple Store to have it replaced.
  3. BaconMunch

BaconMunch New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks, it's in my brothers laptop at the moment, I only worry is that the problem surfaces then disappears only to come back at the most inconvenient times, so currently it is jailbroken and as such I am going to try to restore it before taking it back.

Can I see a Mac Genius without the receipt? It's currently at home and I am away for school.
  4. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

You don't need the receipt. They go by the serial number. And anyway the thing's only been out for two and a half months so it's under warranty regardless.

If the problem is intermittent -- works sometimes, then not, regardless of where it's plugged in or on whose machine, then I'd say there's definitely a problem with the Touch. If it only happens on one machine but works fine on another then the Touch is fine, but the machine has a problem or deficiency.
  5. BaconMunch

BaconMunch New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks for your help, I put it through 3 laptops and a desktop, i did get it to load past the charge screen for 15 minutes, in my eagerness i force restored and jailbroke to 1.1.1 and on my way to upgrade to 1.1.2, it went back to the charge screen =/ and now i'm stuck again

Good to know that they do look up by serial number, but I really need to get it to factory condition before seeing a Mac Genius.
  6. BaconMunch

BaconMunch New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Updated first post.