iPod Touch Deletes All Songs & Vids; Restore Only Remedy

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by live4mark, Aug 14, 2008.

1. live4mark

live4mark New Member

I have a 32GB iPod Touch with the 2.0.1 upgraded software that has never been jailbroken. I never had the following problem until after I upgraded the software and I'm not sure if that is simply a coincidence. Anyway, I have had to do a restore of my iPod three times in the last week after my songs and videos were randomly wiped out on the iPod Touch. The first time occurred after I connected it to my iMac and the other two times were purely random: I tried to play songs, only to see that my library was empty.

Strangely, when I connected the Touch to my iMac and synced it with iTunes prior to all three restores, the capacity bar at the bottom of the General Info tab still displayed 11.5 GB audio and 11.5 GB video (and the remaining data on my iPod), but I confirmed that my Touch actually did not have any songs or vids on it. Curiously, the Touch still had the Apps and photos on it and they were accessible. As such, I had to perform a restore all three times, the first time from a previous back up session of my iPod, but the latter two times as a new iPod. I was prevented from restoring it from a previous back up session on the latter two restores because it (the most recent back up session) was corrupted, according to the error message that popped up. Does anyone know how or why a previous back up would be corrupted?

On one occasion that ultimately required a restore, I tried to access any of the downloaded Apps on my Touch and I would immediately return to the home screen; I checked my songs and vids and sure enough, they were all zapped. Again, I don't know if this was a coincidence, or if this is a bug. All I know is that I have had to restore the Touch three times over the last 7 days and that it quite a pain in the a$$!

Any ideas?
  2. JOS

JOS Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Perhaps the IPSW is the trouble. Where did you get it?
  3. bob12345333

bob12345333 New Member

not jailbroken

i have this problem i think it is just a bug on 2.0.1 cus whenever i restore it comes back
  4. live4mark

live4mark New Member

ZAPPED again!

It just happened again ... for the fourth time!!

Please Register or Log in to view images

My Touch was connected to the iMac and the back up process was actually done. I noticed that it was synching the notorious PhoneSaber when all of a sudden, my Touch was not in the devices section of iTunes and the Touch itself abruptly restarted. Sure enough ... no songs and no vids again!! I wonder if the culprit is the PhoneSaber app that is no longer available in the App store. For what it is worth, I deleted the app from my Touch and I'll update this thread accordingly.

I am now in the process of restoring it as a new iPod again because my last back up was corrupted!

This is pretty frustrating!!!
  5. JOS

JOS Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    When you restore, start as a new iPod again, maybe that'll do the trick.
    Upload your apps one by one and see if anything happens.
    Plus, an IPSW can still be corrupt if it is not a custom one.
    e.g. interference while downloading it.
  6. rbngan

rbngan New Member

I've been having the same problem and recovered from it yesterday. It seams to be running faster and much cleaner than before. I used the following suggestion from bridaw at this form Downloaded apps won't launch http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89334

Here are 5 steps to cure the non-launching app syndrome:
    (worked for me anyhow)

1) Remove downloaded apps by un-checking the "sync applications" box in iTunes on the applications tab and then sync the ipod.

2) Check the ipod and confirm there are no stragglers left behind and delete all downloaded apps that may remain. You probably have at least one if you are reading this.

3) Reset. Go to ipod System Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings
    This will reset all system settings but will NOT delete data or media. Photos, music, contacts, etc. will stay on the ipod.

4) Set iTunes to sync selected applications but select NO application check boxes and then sync the ipod.

5) Reconfigure your WiFi and personal settings. Verify the Music app can play music files. Verify personal data.

6) Download a freebie app to see if it will launch.

You should now be able to start transferring applications back onto your ipod with itunes. I'm going to be far more selective about what and how often I install apps. I depend on my ipod way too much as a pocket computer for this kind of down time.​

Good luck. I think it is a apple issue with their soft ware or bad apps corrupting os.