iPod touch crashing at startup screen, pleseplease help!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sakurarocket, Oct 7, 2010.

1. sakurarocket

sakurarocket New Member

I have an iPod Touch 2g, ios 3.1 I think, and jailbroken.

Anyway, my charger got chewed in half, and as we don't have much money I had my husband just repair the cord. Well, the cord broke again, so he tried again.

My iPod was dead before that and would not start up (had the red battery with the really low bar icon). Now after plugging it in to the newly modified plug it started turning on, but never got off of the apple screen. It keeps powering off every so often and then powering back on, crashing again, so on and so on. It never gets past the apple screen in any of this.

I've tried the restart holding down both fingers, etc, and that rebooted it, but then again, apple screen, flash, apple screen... etc. Could this be related to the rigged cord?

Does anybody have a fix that doesn't involve itunes, etc? As I don't have a working cord, I guess I should just buy a new one. Also, if anybody has tips that will help me for when I have the new cord, I guess I could just keep them for reference (if none of the other fixes work). Also, has anybody else had this happen?

It's been doing this for hours now. Is it a total brick now? God I hope not... I just hope I can get it to at least turn off!

Thanks for any help.
  2. radman

radman New Member

My iPod did that when I accidentally moved /usr... couldn't boot after that..

You definitely should get a new cord, and your best bet will be to just restore it (with iTunes lol)

If you are comfortable with a command line, iRecovery, and iBoot exploits, it might be possible for you to boot a ramdisk and try to figure out what's messed up from there...
    I can't help you with any of that though. I suggest new cord, good long charge, put it in recovery mode, and restore with iTunes. I know it's not the answer you were looking for, sorry.
  3. iKeirNez

iKeirNez Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I had this problem, I just restored on iTunes there is no other option!
  4. sakurarocket

sakurarocket New Member

Meh, oh well, I'll lose some video, but other than that a full restore won't be that bad (man, syncing my music will suck though!).

Thanks. I was just worried that maybe when the wired touched that they shorted the ipod or something. God I hope not. Does it seem like it isn't a brick then? As long as I don't have to buy a new one I'll be happy.

Oh, also, I tried to plug it into my comp with the busted cord and my computer said something about the usb device being broken... could that be *just* a cord issue?

Thanks!