iPod Touch connectivity problem

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by trashcan, Mar 28, 2009.

1. trashcan

trashcan New Member

Hi there,

I have a problem here with an ipod touch 1g from a friend of mine with a probable dock port defect. Can anyone confirm this or prove me wrong and post a solution on how to solve the following:?

The ipod turns on, when its connected to a mac, p4 pc or even an old vaio notebook. None of the machines running osx or windows xp recognize the ipod at all. Osx is the latest 10.5.6 with the latest itunes and the pc and notebook have windows xp sp3 and itunes 7.7.1.xx.

The machines don't recognize the ipod if i put it into recovery mode nor into dfu. not even in normal mode. more to this will follow in this post. the battery actually gets loaded, when the ipod gets connected.

When i got the ipod, the battery was absolutely empty. After charging it over night, i managed to get it to boot up to the apple logo. After a few minutes, the so called "spinning wheel of death" appears and the ipod restarts on and on.

My friend told me, all he wanted to do was to erase the ipod and do a fresh start. He said he went into the settings menu and chose full restore to delete all data on it.

is there any way to reflash the ipod? no machine would recognize it and if it is a port defect, how are the chances that one can fix it alone? the ipod is out of warranty and would be a pity to throw it away.

how about using an older firewire dock cable? would that maybe even to the trick? if i look at the dock pinouts, there are firewire and usb data pins. any one try this?

i#m posting this as a last resort. i've searched the forum and read so many threads, its just amazing what one can find here. i've tried everything i could find. that including reinstalling itunes on my mac with no sucess (here i must say, my own ipod touch works perfectly) and on the pcs, as i tried them, they got itunes for the first time ever.

i installed installed 7.7 as it was recommended here in the forum somewhere, tried the p4 pc which has usb 2.0 and the vaio which has usb 1.1. even here, my own ipod works perfectly. it gets recognized at least.

and does anyone have access to the service manuals for the ipod touch? would it be illegal to get some information out of that manual? i'm curious about this, as it might help.

thank you in advance & also for your time.

€dit:
    no one here who can help me on this?

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. trashcan

trashcan New Member

c'mon, this can't be true, right?

no one here who can or wishes to help

Please Register or Log in to view images