iPod Touch Community Going Down The Drain?

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by sunnyboi14, May 30, 2008.

1. sunnyboi14

sunnyboi14 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    With the release of the sdk, there will be more and more money coming out of our pockets. But even before the sdk, the community is really starting to plummet. Everything fun and interesting is starting to cost money, and developers are becoming more and more stressed over getting their apps out soon. Personally, the overall experience of hacking my iPod has gotten less and less fun, considering that almost everything i really would want on my iPod costs money. Personally, i think that Nullriver should just stick to free applications on the iPod/iPhone, and have an optional source for people who want to pay money for the applications. And also, Rip Dev. They are really starting to take over. No more "That guy made it". It's starting to all come out to "That guy and rip dev". I have much respect for Rip Dev, but things are just getting more and more expensive! I mean, seriously! For example, there is this app that is a really nice application to read books, but is almost 35 dollars! I don't understand why people aren't starting to fight this! It feels like we are just starting to wait for someone to do something for us, download it, then pay. And Jiggy? Totally cool, but not all the time. Jiggy lacks a lot of things. And people are just getting dumber and dumber. Javascript is really cool, but i personally think that people should just stick to pure objective-c coding. This way, things might be a little more buggy, but these could get worked out, and it would look so much nicer! Rounded edges...

Please Register or Log in to view images

This might just be me, but personally, i miss the days where i could find an app i thought would be cool, install it, and not worry about some stupid fee. Im starting too get worried about Installer, to tell you the truth! With Rip dev by Nullriver's side, who knows which way it could go? It's unlikely that this will happen, but I'm starting to get worried. Didn't this community build itself on free and independent applications and hacks for the iPhone?
    How bout you?
    Am i just stupid, or do i have a point? Please reply with your thoughts.​

Wouldnt you rather pay for an application approved by Apple? Instead of paying for an application that might be more vulnerable to crashing? OR... Free, nice, WORKING, applications. ​
  2. awal

awal Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I agree there are more and more very useful apps that cost money, but there are still a ton of great apps that are free, plus the theming side of the iPod keeps me interested.
  3. sunnyboi14

sunnyboi14 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I do agree with you there, but to me, it seems like more and more developers that used to make free apps are switching over to more costly apps.

And the theming? Definitely one of my favorite parts of the iPod Touch hacking community.
  4. awal

awal Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Yeah, even if the apps go down the drain, I'll stick around just for cool themes.
  5. Bernstein229

Bernstein229 New Member

I totally agree with you. I mean yes jiggy is nice but it should just be a starting pad. And now every dev team uses jiggy because its easy and most people just don't have the patience to learn Objective-C.
  6. micaheljcaboose

micaheljcaboose Well-Known Member

Is that against your own team? I am going to make a few more jiggy apps and then learn obj-c. I am insulted!

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. JBB

JBB New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    People need money, people want good applications.

That's how it goes.
  8. awal

awal Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    True that, not everyone can afford to spend a lot of time on great apps nowadays.
  9. micaheljcaboose

micaheljcaboose Well-Known Member

Yes but the developers who have spent hours/days on their apps deserve something in return. Some people don't feel that donations are enough and they have to charge. If I were to make an app for the app store I know that I would charge $1-2 for it. For all my hard work.
  10. swillard8

swillard8 New Member

its the Internet dude, people can charge what they like. And im moving to 2.0 ofc because of the quality of apps you will find