iPod touch cases, are they worth it?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Joeyl10, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Joeyl10

Joeyl10 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Okay, so first off, I'd like to introduce myself to the forums. Hi everyone.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Anyways, I was wondering. I'm pretty sure that I'm getting a new iPod touch 2G for an early Christmas (I go up to my dad's before real Christmas). I'm all prepared (Got tons of apps), but I noticed that all my friends that have an iPod / iPhone have cases / skins for them. Is this really worth the money? Will it prolong the life of the iPod, or is it just for looks? I would really appreciate an answer, as I'm torn between getting a case, or saving the money for something else.
  2. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

Let me put it this way - try dropping your iPod Touch 2G once on a hard floor and see how things are afterwards.

I'd say it's worth the investment, whether it be to protect the easily-scratched back or just to give it an extra layer between the iPod and the ground... or the screen popping loose because the force of the drop went up into it instead of into a frame around it. Or because it was too slippery to hold onto in wet or cold weather.
  3. dean11

dean11 New Member

yes for sure they are worth it, the ipod touch is a very vulnerable device to scratches and falls, Just make sure you get a good case
  4. Joeyl10

Joeyl10 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks for the fast responses.

Okay, so when I get my iPod, I'll be sure to use some of my Christmas money on a case.

Thanks, guys.

5. dragnandy

dragnandy New Member

personally for me, the only reason to get a case is
    -for the looks
    -for better grip.
    -if you really like the reflective back plate, because without a case, it gets really scratched up.

ipods from apple are known for its sturdiness and excellent build quality. it wont break from a 3 meter drop for sure. if you are very prone to dropping it, you most likely will just dent the sides or scratch the back. and in some cases, on rare occasions, you might brake the screen

. if your not really drop prone only drop it a few feet in the air, then i wouldn't worry about a cracked screen. your call really.

if you like the looks of the case and really want to keep it safe, then by all mean get a case. for me, i personally don't like a case covering and bulking up the touch. i like to keep my gadgets as slim as possible to easily slip it in my pocket. if your only worried about scratches, you can also consider an invisible shield (is that right?) or an BSE skin.
  6. Reaper2794

Reaper2794 Banned

Get silicone for sure.

I got a nice 25 dollar one from Ivyskin

It's the Royal one

Glows in dark. They even give you 2 ear covers

Plastic screen cover and also a cleaning cloth for the cover

The case is great. Mine glows in the dark real well and in dim light, it is the best blue ever.

Great grip but not too grippy. Protects every part of it. Fits 1G and 2G. Hole for external speaker and the dock. Indent for power button.
  7. MrFairladyz

MrFairladyz Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    you cant own an ipod touch/iphone without a case. its like suicide.
  8. sjleworthy

sjleworthy New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    i originally bought one of these, because i thought they looks cool -

http://ipod-touch-cases.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/ipodtouchleatherfoliocasepic1.jpg

but soon after i realized the Touch on it's own without a case looks just too cool on it's own to cover up, so i left it uncovered. i take my ipod to work every day and keep it mostly in my briefcase, but after a few months not only was the back becoming scuffed, which is kinda what i expected, but the odd tiny nik and scratch were starting to develop on the glass front screen and metal surround. most annoying. so now it's back on with the case for good.

so yes, like the otheres here, i really would recommend a case it you intend to keep your ipod in top condition.