iPod Touch capacities: On the rise?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Aphex, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Aphex

Aphex New Member

DISCLAIMER: Don't read this if you don't feel like it.

If you haven't noticed, which I'm sure many have, iPods' capacity in memory gets larger by the more complex the machine. i.e., the iPod Shuffle can have as little as 2 GB, when the iPod touch #rd gen has a minimum of 32 GB.

Some people have pointed out that the Second generation iPod touch and the Third generation iPod touch are all very similar, with just changes in speed and performance. That little update, and a memory boost? iPod touch First generation had way smaller capacities, and ever since, the range seems to be ascending, to maybe the iPod touch having current iPod Classic capacities, such as 80, 120, etc.

Over time, our technology gets way better, of course, and things need more memory. But why would apple have a great and improved product (iPod touch 2nd gen) that is not very expensive when bought at minimum capacity (8 GB), then make a newer generation, with the minimum being exceedingly over 8 GB, but 32 GB? What's up with that?

Either the new generation is more than it is spit out to be, or Apple thinks people would blow an extra $100 on the new generation with better and faster performance and an extra 4x capacity. Just throwin' this out there.

I'd just like to see some responses relating to my concerns before i buy my first iPod touch. Thanks.
    -Aphex
  2. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    either buy it or dont. You move. You can always return it within 30-90 days depending on store warranty.
  3. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    You are missing the target audience; the 3G iPod touch (what I call the G3, for Generation 3) is aimed at newer users, and 1st generation users who didn't upgrade to the second gen (like myself).

The iPod touch G3 is a great product for newer users, because it is cheaper than previous generations, while being more powerful (with the exception for the 8GB, at least in power).

Just remember who the target audience is; Apple is delusional enough to imagine that every second generation user out there will drop cash on a third generation.
  4. xXrkidXx

xXrkidXx Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    And thats because it has a shinny apple sticker on the back...

There probably as high as there going to get, with the exception of the iPad and maybe a 64gb iPhone..
  5. Aphex

Aphex New Member

Hmm, makes since; I think I'll keep my money on the 8 GB.

But, because i would be a newer user, would getting the 2nd generation and not being affected by said delusion be less efficient than getting the 3rd generation? efficient as in: worth it when the next generation comes out, so i'm not 2 generations behind, just one. So i'll stick back with the capacity i need instead of whats new. makes since.
  6. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Of course it is; Apple, traditionally, has an extremely dedicated userbase.

And no, I completely disagree with you there. SSD capacities are always getting bigger; a 128GB iPod touch 4G isn't impossible. Apple could have one this generation, the only problem is price. Price for SSD's is constantly falling.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    It makes cents, not sense. Why? Because I wouldn't pay for something I know is already obsolete. When 4.0 comes out, I'm sure there will be at least one big feature that the 2nd gen is lacking. Do I know what that feature will be? Absolutely not. But there will be. How do you think Apple keeps the fine line between their new products and their older products?

If your chief concern is money, then go for the 2nd gen. If you want the best device you can currently get, go for the 3rd.

However, if the only capacity you are looking at is the 8GB, then go for the cheaper option. The 8GB 3G and 2G are the same, with the exception of a newer bootrom on the 3G, making it a tethered jailbreak.
  7. Aphex

Aphex New Member

That was the answer I was looking for, thanks so much. And yes, i meant sense, but cents makes more sense, for Apple.