iPod Touch: blank springboard, no icons, no nothing! help please!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by messageman3, Jan 15, 2008.

1. messageman3

messageman3 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    ok, i was playing around on the touch, trying to get rid of the individual music and video icons, and just put the iPod app on the dock.

i edited the springboard "*.plist" file (canny remember what its exact filename is!)

then i restarted using the "restart" command

i typed in my code, and there, on the screen is my springboard, totally black (ie. no icons) no icons on the dock, but the time still works, as does my MIM name at the top left.

i am at school at the moment, so i do not have wireless to SSH into the iTouch.

my wireless is turned off on the touch, and so i am not sure how therefore to SSH in anyway...

has anyone got any suggestions - i would like, if possible, not to have to restore it!

thanks a lot!

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Why would you edit the plist manually? Wouldn't it have been a lot easier to use Customize?

Anyway, the only thing that I can think of is possible to get in there via Total Commander with the T-Pot plugin. I'm not sure how effective this will be, but it should give you access to the Summerboard plist you edited so you can edit it back to normal (or functional, anyway). It's about the only shot I think you have before having to restore.
  3. messageman3

messageman3 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    lol, yeah it probably would have been good to do that! LOL!
    but i was trying to put the iphone media player on the ipod touch - i am fed up of having loads of icons! - that's why i was doing it manually!

okay, i will try to do this later when i have a decent computer!

cheers man!

--messageman3--
  4. shotgunfool

shotgunfool Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    there is a guide on how to do this

you dont need to edit your plist you download one and just put it in the folder then you just need to hide music and video then you have ipod

to get your icons back

ssh into your ipod and execute customize then unhide all the apps
  5. zack.york

zack.york New Member

Okay, I just had the same exact problem... I moved my Applications folder from root to private so I could make my iPod touch look more like an iPhone by putting "iPod" app on instead of music, videos, etc. What you have to do if you moved your Applications folder from root to private is move it back and restart you're touch. You should have your apps back. I am not sure if you can just edit them and then move them back to make the iPod app apperar or what. I feel like an idiot though because whenever I SSH my iPod touch I hook the USB cable to it. I never knew it was wireless.

EDIT: I just found out you can edit Application files in private and move them back to root... And it works!