ipod touch battery test !

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by darkness222, Oct 12, 2008.

1. darkness222

darkness222 New Member

hello.

today i tested my ipod touch battery and the i wasnt really amazed by the results.

i got less than 5 hours only of video while turning wifi off, brightness to 40 % and volume to half.

The 2 videos i tested were 2 episodes of family guy ( mp4 each of approx 150 mb ) going back and forth between them every half an hour or so.

Based on what i saw here and read on apple specs, i should have got 6 hours at least with those settings and without playing around with it.

my questions is , is that normal or is something wrong with the battery? and did u test the video battery life with high quality video or a standard quality ones?

thanks.
  2. Mattzane16

Mattzane16 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Do you have the 1st or 2nd generation iPod Touch?
  3. Thao

Thao New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well, he's posting in the 2nd Generation subforum... so I'd assume 2G.

But no, that does sound normal to me.
  4. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    5h can only be reached in experimental environment

Please Register or Log in to view images

or even only on the paper.
    there're many facts like temperature etc which will decrease battery capacity faster or slower.

It's pretty usual, I'm getting ~4h of videoplaying on my 2G but thats enough for me and for music listening it's more than enough (~24h)

But who's gonna use the ipod touch without playing around or letting wifi all the time off or let it stay at the same brightness level?^^
  5. Drawingbreath

Drawingbreath New Member

Well, considering the thin profile of the 2nd gen iPod Touch I'm surprised it can manage 1 hour of video playback.

I have never believed the power usage given by marketing. They are ALWAYS complete baloney.

I've been watching quite a few videos and doing web surfing and watching BBC iPlayer with mine and I have comparable time for my battery use. Possibly a little less (around 3.5 hours - 4 hours) because I leave wifi on.

This is enough for me and the use that I have for it. I frankly love being able to watch telly in bed whilst the wife falls asleep. This gadget purchase could actually end up being good for my marriage.

6. jlayman920

jlayman920 New Member

I did a battery test this weekend andwas pretty satisified with the results.

I got a little over 6 hours of video - all wifi options off, brightness at 50%, volume all the way down.

I was a little pissed when I tested music playback - all wifi options off, brightness at lowest visible setting, volume all the way down. I only got a little over 12 hours.

I posted this result on the Apple forum and got a reply that the Apple test claiming 36 hours of music playback was while listening in sleep mode (with the screen off).

I did this test and at 18 hours, I still had more than half the battery left. So overal I am satisified. I find it idiotic that Apple makes their 36 hour claim by listening to music with the screen off but like I said, everything seems to be as good as or better than Apple claims.
  7. lukage

lukage New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    It's normal to listen to music while the screen is off. Its weird to look at the song playing on the screen while listening. I can understand looking at your ipod touch everynow and again while listening if you want to change song, but why would they tell you the battery life while doing other stuff on your ipod touch.
  8. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    ehh whats about doing some stuff like play games or surf the internet while listening to music?

The ipod touch can do much more than an usual mp3player.
    On an usual mp3player there's really no reason to stare at the screen while youre listening to music
  9. mynameisBEEKMAN

mynameisBEEKMAN Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    wow....your ipod suck...i got 6.5 hours, watching episodes of the office (not from itunes, so no DRM to check) 100% brightness, wifi on, and speaker volume 100% (and it was amped in itunes)...............................beat that!!

and i'm not making this up........
  10. Night.Hawk

Night.Hawk Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    you probably are making this up

but even if you aren't, battery results vary from a multitude of factors including temperature, which vary GREATLY with use and environment, so to say his ipod "sucks" is a bad statement, my friend.