iPod Touch Battery Help

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by heltoupee, Apr 9, 2010.

1. heltoupee

heltoupee New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    The battery on my 1st Gen touch is going bad. I think it's losing voltage. Basically, when it's on the charger, even if the battery is full, it quickly thinks the battery is empty, and reboots the device. This happens over and over once every 5 minutes or so when charging. Off the charger, everything is fine, except the battery indicator no longer shows the battery draining. The device will just die when the battery is out of juice with no warning. Battery life is still about what it should be, though.

My question, what options do I have. I'm not afraid of cracking it open, and I know that replacement batteries are available, although I'm gonna have to get my soldering iron out, but I don't really want to throw any more money at it. Is there any way to disable the reboot when the device thinks the battery is low? Any other tricks I can try? Is replacing the battery the right course of action, or is there some other piece of electronics going bad?

Thanks for your help, guys!
  2. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Its a 1G so its pretty old right?
    1. Take it to apple for apple replacement out of warranty for $70 or $80?
    2. Do it yourself, buy parts from ifixit.com
    3. Look around your town and look for a repair shop, might be cheaper than apple and safer than you doing it.
  3. Evanmav

Evanmav New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I have a 1st gen too and mines been acting up too. It will prob cost 75 bucks for a new battery so im just gonna buy a new ipod this year
  4. yiday

yiday New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    buy a new touch
  5. heltoupee

heltoupee New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Nuts. Oh well. I was hoping someone knew of a way to bypass that "I think my battery's drained so I'm shutting down now kthxbye!" thing the Touch does. I know it's software, because when it happens, I can see the little spinning circle busy icon appear for a brief second.

Guess I could try the battery swap. $14.95 at ifixit, but I don't feel like throwing good money after bad...
  6. raxater

raxater New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I think the matter isn't the battery but more about the connection between the memory and the battery. It just doesn't read it correctly, have you dropped it anywhere before or did something rude with it?
  7. heltoupee

heltoupee New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Um. Yes. (But, honey, it's not what you think! We were only talking, honest!

Please Register or Log in to view images

)

I disassembled it to clean between the glass and the screen. I followed ifixit's instructions to the letter. You think I may have damaged the battery?