iPod Touch as UNIX handheld? NE way to do serial?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DoctorRon, Nov 14, 2009.

1. DoctorRon

DoctorRon New Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Hello there,

I am new to the forums, so hello!

I have learned the Touch the hard way...myself, with no assistance. Its not too hard being based on BSD UNIX, which I know very well as I ran a large regional ISP with FreeBSD.

I have three, but I use this one exclusively with UNIX.

OK, its 1st gen, 2.21, 16GB, and I have used Cydia and independent sources to make it a full-fledged UNIX term...with BASH, vi, lynx (text www), ssh, etc. It does very well--the only thing that I could ask for is a way to connect to Cisco products through the DB9 serial/RJ45 serial ports with a hardwire...I simply use a very small 4-chip wifi router that I built (Broadcomm-based) that has dd-wrt loaded onto it so I can work on routers/switches through the one RJ45 out thats built onto the board...still, anyone knowing Cisco knows that, in some cases, you NEED to console in (like a bricked router/switch, firmware re-flashing, etc). I don't know if the Touch can function as a "real" TTY because I doubt Apple would have wasted memory with something only 1/10000th of 1% of users would want.

So I ask this...is there anyone out there that is familiar with the pinout of the iPod-to-USB connector? Is there a way to implement 3-wire serial (gnd, sig, hs) with a Touch? If I have to go USB to 3-wire serial that's doable--I can build that if nothing exists probably.

I guess that if I look I can find the pinout...I just want to know:

1) Has anyone here did this or have another solution?
    2) Can anyone suggest any good UNIX packages that can be used at the CLI? I use the "Terminal" app from Cydia and have E's Utils, etc.

Thank you very much!

If you DON'T have the answers to this but use your touch for UNIX stuff I'd like to hear from you too!