iPod Touch as tablet input

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by CyFi, Dec 28, 2007.

1. CyFi

CyFi New Member

Hi, I've been looking around at some tablet pcs for taking notes digitally in maths subjects at university, but the prices are too high and the specs too low. I am interested in using the iPod touch as a low-cost alternative input device.

As demonstrated with the Sketch application, the iPod Touch is at least capable of some handwriting input (probably better with a stylus like the 'pogo stylus'), however, I am interested to know what developers opinion is on the possibility of using the iPod touch with a laptop to input handwriting into a word processor.

As the screen is too small to write a significant amount of information on (especially using a finger to write), the program would have to a) wipe the screen after every x number of charachters, or b) incorporate autoscrolling. As to which end the character recognition would take place, or even if there exists a workable character recognition program for mathematical symbols, I have no idea (though I know open office supports at least some mathematical symbols).

Thanks for any feedback.
  2. computerwiz_222

computerwiz_222 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    this would be very difficult to put together and considering the price of laptops, go buy a laptop.

Also, the ipod recognizes something about the finger. (i forget if it is capacitance or heat) but either of these two characteristics will be costly in a pen
  3. BCS321

BCS321 New Member

I believe the ipod touch uses an electromagnetic layer to determine finger touches.
  4. kingjarman

kingjarman Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    hm.
    is there any stick type thing to write on the iPod?
    i wonder ..
  5. sharko

sharko New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    There is its called the pogo stylus, quiet expensive tho cost 30 bucks. Not worth it in my opinion
  6. computerwiz_222

computerwiz_222 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    right, i heard of that pogo stylus, I have an old Serial Port Graphics tablet made by wacom and it used a similar type stylus, which was lost of course.

If you want to use a computer to take digital notes, you could also get a cheap graphic tablet ~50 bux and some of them come with cordless mouse as well