iPod touch as PDA?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mdelong, Apr 15, 2008.

1. mdelong

mdelong New Member

I'm sure that this has been addressed in other threads but here goes. I'm in school to be a pharmacist so I use the same programs and stuff that med students and doctors use (epocrates and others). I bought a Palm TX and had it for a couple of weeks and sent it back. It wasn't what I expected. I see they are putting out new stuff for the iPod touch and am amazed with the simplicity of apple's products. I converted from a PC to a MacBook a couple of months ago and am just ecstatic with my purchase. That got me looking at the iPod Touch... I have been looking at it for a couple of days now and I see everybody talking about how it isn't a PDA but it looks like it is getting there. How far off is that. I see that they put out/ are putting out new firmware, is that what it takes to make it a functional PDA? I know epocrates is working on a program for it. I see everyone talk about "jailbreaking," would I have do that and if I do, how hard is it and what can of worms does that open up? Again, I am sorry if this has been discussed, I just didn't see any current discussions about this topic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. SHININGSTEEL

SHININGSTEEL Banned

If you are really looking for a TRUE PDA, that can do anything you wish I suggest getting a pocket PC from Dell or HP. It will have Windows Mobile and you will have the best medical applications at your disposal. You can also wait for the App Store for iPhone/iPod Touch in June which will also have very advanced apps and medical programs.
  3. xxjustinxx

xxjustinxx New Member

I know i'm kind of a noob on this site but I would say that jailbreaking an ipod touch is very easy and my 11 year old sister jailbroke hers before I knew about it. And for the can of worms thing I would say that theres more things to do to an ipod touch than you can fill a notepad file!!! (which is like over 250mb). I can very much see an ipod being used by doctors n such, just wait till June. = )
  4. optikalefx

optikalefx New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    its a great PDA, but its more of an entertainment PDA

Now are the days when you dont need to jailbreak to get PDA functionality. I use mine as a PDA for the calendar, notes and internet. I cant think of anything else you can use it for PDA wise until you install apps from 3rd party developers in a few months
  5. mikeball.mball

mikeball.mball New Member

well, it is already a "PDA" of sorts.

You cannot run Palm software on it however, you can currently only run programs that are made by the ipod touch / iphone community.

In june, that is going to change as Apple is releasing a major update to their firmware that will enable a "app store" on the ipod touch.

If you just want to take notes, use the calender, etc, the the ipod touch is capable out of the box. If you want to have some extended functionality (example, the application called moleskine to organize your notes, or an Ebook reader for some mobile education, hell you can even put all of wikipedia on the damn thing), then you can do what is called "jailbreaking". To do this, you use a program called iLiberty+ to install the "installer" program (which is basically a package manager [add/remove programs]).

From there, you can simply install whatever programs you want over Wifi.

Be warned, this is not a good solution for mission critical applications, this is NOT %100 stable.

However, if this is for taking some quick notes in school, or schedule yourself with the calender application, then this is great.

EDIT:

This is not confirmed at all... This is just an assumption that there will be medical applications. Do not buy this thinking that in a few months you will have all of your applications ported over.
  6. [AFX]

[AFX] Well-Known Member

i tend to see it as a poorpans' pocket pc. its got good hardware, but the applications arent that user friendly. id rather use the Windows Mobile calander/email/tasks over the iPods functions any day.

very true, thats why i kept my axim. its powerful.
  7. mikeball.mball

mikeball.mball New Member

Actually, the ipod touch has better value then most pocket PCs.

Example:

HP iPAQ Travel Companion

CPU Speed 400MHz

RAM 64 MB

Resolution 240 x 320 Pixels

Memory 2.0GB Flash

Extras GPS

Price $599 (CAD)

IPOD TOUCH 32 GB

CPU Speed 400MHz

RAM 128MB

Resolution 480x320 (164.83 DPI)

Memory 32 GB Flash

Extras OpenGL support

Price $479 (CAD)

NOTE: The wireless capabilities are equal across both devices.

If you compare those, the Ipod cleary wins in terms of value.

As another extra, no other touchscreen can compared to the one on the ipod touch / iphone.
  8. vipfreak

vipfreak New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It's been a pretty good PDA for me so far.
  9. mdelong

mdelong New Member

I understand that in June they are opening up everything and that will increase the functionality of it drastically, but will that mean I need to buy a new one in june or will I be able to update it to stay current? I also saw that you can't add events onto the iPod is that still true or has that been changed?
  10. [AFX]

[AFX] Well-Known Member

okay, if you want to talk hardware (which I wasnt even talking about specifically, just that it has more function)...

Dell Axim x51v

CPU Speed 624Mhz

RAM 64 MB (upgradable to 128MB)

Resolution 480x640/480x640 Pixels

Memory 192MB user available (expandable to 32GB with compact flash + whatever SDHC supports)

Extras Dedicated graphics chip (Intel 2700g, openGL support), BlueTooth, IrDa, WiFi, way more software since its WM based, full exchange support, mobile office, i can go on, faster emulators, better skinning

Price $525 after taxes (CAD) when i paid for it.

in terms of how much software available, functionaility and how many uses my pocket pc can provide me, this is why i see the ipod touch as a poormans pda. i dont have to spend time hacking my device in order for it to run 3rd party software. i dont have to convert video for the device to play. i can easily create calander appointments with ease, whereas i find myself typing in appointments a task comapred to a pocket pc. and then after that, i can sync wirelessly with my exchange server. the iphone/ipod platform doesnt support this yet, but it will be an added bonus in the future. i can also make calls using VOIP without the hassle of modding any extra hardware or ordering any additional hardware (and use Skype btw). i can remote into my computer using remote desktop (rather than sh*t VNC), bring sound from that machine to my device, and access network resouces with more security. i can access any ftp server as if i was browsing my device using a file explorer (something the ipod doesnt have). the list goes on really, these are my reasons for thinking the ipod is a poormans' pda. dont get me wrong however, the ipod is a good device for what it was made for, and i use it for just that. some devices just handle things better than others i guess.

EDIT: another link concerning hardware on a pocket pc: http://www.htc.com/europe/product.aspx?id=15668
    EDIT 2: an axim x51v user turning his pocket pc into a carputer. this is just crazy: http://www.aximsite.com/boards/x50-x51-forums/139062-x51v-aximizer-carputer-video-demonstration.html. video HERE