Ipod Touch and microphone - Altec Lansing Backbeat 903?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Goddard, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Goddard

Goddard New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Does the mic work? If not what is a good blue tooth headset that does work with mic if any.
  2. dardim

dardim New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Backbeat 906 stereo BT headphones

Short answer: no

Explanation:
    The microphone on these headphones cannot be used with the iPod touch.......at least not yet. I tried using them while I was on skype with my girlfriend as well as voice memos and neither one worked. The headphones and mic work just fine as I was able to connect to my PS3 and use them both. I mean if you think about it, why would apple want to make it compatible? They wouldn't make (or sell many for that matter) the plug in microphone. I am sure apple will come out with their brand of BT headphones with a compatible microphone, but until that happens you are SOL my friend. But don't fret, i am in the same boat you are.

Other options: I am not sure if there are any other stereo Bluetooth headsets out with a mic that is supported when using the itouch but I have not looked into it. figured I would answer part of your question from experience. Holla if you have any other questions.

P.S. I appologize for any mistakes I did not catch, my computer is "In the shop" and it is hard posting from my iPod.
  3. dlstc

dlstc Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I have the Jaybird 200's/Freedom and the mic works. I can make voice control calls and talk through them. They are bluetooth with a similar design to the Altecs (two earpieces joined by a wire, mic in ear piece).

Some of the music controls don't work, like track control, but otherwise they work fine.
  4. Goddard

Goddard New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Can you provide a link. I want to make sure I get the right ones. I also noticed you have a 3g does that matter?
  5. dlstc

dlstc Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The manufacturer's website is www.jaybirdgear.com. I bought mine at Target.

Before purchasing my iPhone, I used these headphones with my iPod Touches, 2G and then 3G. I easily paired the headphones with my iPods and my Motorola Razr telephone. I could be listening to music on my iPod, a call would come in, and the headphones would automatically pause the music and take the call. After the call was ended, the music would again start up again. All without me touching a single button! They are marketed for joggers and athletes and are sweat resistant.

However, the mic in the headset only works for the paired phone. It will not work as a microphone for applications such as voice memos, or other recording apps. The Griffin iTalk works, as well as the Switcheasy Thumbtack mic. I apologize in advance if you were looking for a bluetooth headset to work with these apps.

You can also check out ebay for slightly used or just better deals. With the bluetooth activated in iPods, you no longer have to use/buy the dongle.