iPod Touch 8gb "3rd gen", dud for newer games?

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by CombatLibrarian, Dec 26, 2009.

1. CombatLibrarian

CombatLibrarian New Member

I've been thinking about finally taking the plunge and getting an iPod touch. After I started looking into it, I learned that the 8GB model...the one that's within my budget...is 3rd gen in name only and contains the previous generation's hardware.

It's the recent marketing thrust I've been seeing into games that attracted my attention in the first place. I've seen a relative playing games like N.O.V.A. and Need for Speed on his iPhone 3Gs and that piqued my interest. But seeing that the 8GB is 3rd gen in name only (a marketing decision that's leaving a sour taste in my mouth anyway), I'm wondering if it'd still be worth getting, or if I'd be getting a noticeably inferior experience on the 8GB model when it comes to the newer games that leverage beefier 3d content.

Does anyone out there own a "3rd gen" ipod touch 8gb and have tried using it for games like N.O.V.A.? I'd like to hear some end-user thoughts.
  2. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Active Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    with NOVA it doesen't matter wich device you have, it will be the same everywhere (I think! Atleast it still looks awsome on my 2G Touch!

Please Register or Log in to view images

). most games support all devices, becaus otherwise the Devs would get alot less money (not everyone (including me) has the newest iDevice). NFS: Shift just has some small graphical improovements (I think there's some colour effect when you crash another vehicle!). The 8GB iPod Touch "3G" is just an 8GB iPod Touch 2G (I don't know if the battery is better or not), so you'll still have the 3. fastest/4.th slowest iDevice!

3. CombatLibrarian

CombatLibrarian New Member

Sounds cool...mostly I want to make sure we're not ending up with games that play at a lower fps on the 2nd gen hardware. (Or look truly terrible.)
  4. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Active Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    well on 2nd gen hardware most things should run smooth.

If something looks truly terrible it's probably not becaus of the device!

5. matinsa2005

matinsa2005 Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    it doesnt matter i have first gen and i played every single game in app store with it and everything was smooth!!!
  6. exit1010

exit1010 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    You are not jailbroken. That's why. But either way you will get good games. Be weary that some games are made only for the 3rd generation iPod touch. (which is the16 and 32 model). If I were you I would save money to get the 16 gig.
  7. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Active Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    errm there is no 16GB iPod Touch 3G? There's only the 32 and 64GB moddel!

You could also look for a cheaper iPod Touch 3G 32GB on ebay, I got my iPod Touch 2G 32GB 100€ cheaper that way and with a case and screen protector!

8. Ari.

Ari. Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    Im happy i got 3gs

, but with my 1st gen ipod touch Crusade of destiny is unplayable

. Just crashes when gameplay starts :/
  9. NitroBum

NitroBum Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    i have a 2g and i play real racing, need for speed undercover, and 2xl supercross without issue. the 3g should be fine.
  10. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Active Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    the games you listed aren't exactly new games...