iPod Touch 8GB 3rd Gen Anomaly

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by marchoto, Feb 11, 2010.

1. marchoto

marchoto New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Hi everyone, I've just bought a brand new iPod Touch 8GB for a friend of mine, apparently a 3rd Gen. When I say apparently is because I'm from Argentina and I bought it on the web from a reseller, so when the product arrived I obviously wanted to verify if it was a 3rd Gen.

I started reading a lot on the web trying to find a way to distinguish between 2nd and 3rd Gen for the 8gb version, but I couldn't. So I tried the following:

Opened iTunes and when it asked me to update the firmware, I chose to only download 3.1.3 version for obvious reasons. When I looked for that file I realized that it was called iPod2,1_3.1.3 instead of iPod3,1_3.1.3 that I was expecting. So I called my seller, but they reassured me that it was a 3rd Gen iPod Touch, so I don't know what to believe.

Can anyone help me with this?? How can I be sure if this is an iPod Touch 3rd Gen and if it really is why is it using and 2nd Gen firmware version!!??
  2. nickswitz

nickswitz New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    The 8 Gig 3rd gen is the same as the 2nd gen but harder to jailbreak.
  3. Theodosius

Theodosius Active Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    How many lines of text are on the back?
    2=3G
    2+=2G
    Also the serial number MC=3G.
  4. marchoto

marchoto New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Thank you both, it has 2 lines. I've read that somewhere but still I wasn't sure, but apparentely it is a 3G iPod dispite the firmware name...
    cheers
  5. allyhax

allyhax Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    What is does the serial start with? Is it MC?