iPod touch 8gb 3g 3.1.3 Crisis!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by blue max, May 2, 2010.

1. blue max

blue max New Member

Hi All,
    New but hope to hang out here as it seems a great resource

Please Register or Log in to view images

I have a real problem with my daughters 8gb touch. She is heart broken that I have managed to lose everything.

Here's what I have managed to do...
    I used Pwnage tool to write a new firmware, but it won't load on the touch, so I restored. So now I have a blank ipod touch.

I think now that it is an MC version (it didn't say on the pod itself). So I guess it won't load this older firmware (iPod2,1_3.1.3_7E18_Custom_Restore.ipsw).

I'm guessing everything is stored on this firmware, but I need to downgrade the firmware before I can then restore the custom firmware and try to backup somewhere before upgrading and getting back to square one. Is that right and is anybody able to give me a quick tutorial, so I can't make a bad situation even worse.

Thank you in advance.
    Graham
  2. TheiPodTouch

TheiPodTouch New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    If its mc model pwnagetool cant support it so try restoring frm an original firmware
  3. blue max

blue max New Member

Appreciate your help.

Pwnagetool did seem to work and gave the success message at the end. Only when I tried to restore from the custom firmware did I get an error message. I then used itunes to restore to factory firmware, but lost everything. I am hoping everything is still stored with the custom firmware pwnagetool created. Is that likely? and how do I get that back onto the ipod touch. Does this sound feasible?

Thanks again.
    Graham
  4. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You can find out if it's an MC model by going to Settings>General>About. Then the model will tell you which one it is. You didn't lose all of her stuff because as she has probably already synced the ipod, it made a backup of all of her information on the computer, so as soon as you plug it in and hit the restore button, it will put it all back on for you. Do you have a mac exclusively, or do you have access to a PC? You can use redsn0w to jailbreak on a PC and she would be jailbroken & have all of her information.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Restoring in iTunes will format the ipod and wipe everything off, as it would with a hard drive in a computer. So you undid the jailbreak. Now that you've restored, redo the jailbreak.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    http://xs1.iphwn.org/rs/redsn0w-mac_0.9.4.zip (mac)

http://xs1.iphwn.org/rs/redsn0w-win_0.9.4.zip (PC)

[removed]
  5. blue max

blue max New Member

Thanks SuzukiGS750EZ,

I used iTunes to restore - there is nothing showing in itunes or on the ipod. The only hope is that when pwnagetool made a custom firmware, it copies all the apps/music/etc.

I downloaded the redsnow app. When you say choose the correct 3.1.2 firmware, the pod is 7E18 which is only 3.13? Can you advise further please.

Thank you.
    Graham
  6. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    no I think nobody got the point that you want to do:
    you want to recover lost/deleted apps and music on the ipod touch 3g - alright?
    if so forget the custom image they are not stored inside it. I'm 1000% sure about this fact...so unfortunately everything is INDEED lost. except for if itunes backed everything up and you can restore it:

restore to factory default iamge, itunes will popup and ask "new ipod or restore from backup" restore from backup and if that doesn't work...well bad luck. everything is lost then. =(

but - why isn't the music and apps stored inside of your computer?
  7. blue max

blue max New Member

I guess I didn't understand what it would sync and not sync. I was concerned that it might try to sync ALL my music. I just had too many questions pop-up when all I wanted to do was charge up the pod for my daughter to use.

So, I restored my itunes library from a backup, but still nothing showing, so I guess it's all lost. But at least I can now jailbreak it hopefully. Do I still need to go back to 3.1.2 and which version should I choose.

It would be at least a step forward if I could jailbreak it after all this. Or maybe I should just wait for the Spirit jailbreak?

Thanks.
    Graham
  8. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    okay...first: clear up what you want^^ as far as I understand you want to jailbreak a freshly restored ipod touch - right?

if so, second: tell us the following:
    1) iPod Touch model number
    2) exact firmware version
    both can be found on ipod: Settings.app/General/Information

give us both infos and we can tell you whether and how you can jailbreak

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. blue max

blue max New Member

Well, now it's freshly restored (I had hoped the firmware would contain a record of the apps/music/settings etc., but I think that is unlikely from what has been said).

1) ipod Touch 8gb (Nov 09), build version 7e18
    2) firmware version 3.1.3

I am not sure if it would be better to wait for the spirit jailbreak or whether that would not be of any benefit.

Thank you.
    Graham
  10. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    wait for spirit, you have the late 2009 3G 8gb model (MC XXX)
    at the moment there would be only tethered jailbreak and whatever...spirit will come out soon, so just wait the few days/weeks