ipod touch 64 is not recognized

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by richardcav, Jan 10, 2010.

1. richardcav

richardcav Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I got an inspiron computer (specs

Please Register or Log in to view images

http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/notebooks/laptop-inspiron-17/pd.aspx?refid=laptop-inspiron-17&s=dhs&cs=19&~oid=us~en~29~win7_installed_anav_2~~

It's 64-bit with Windows 7. Security at this point is NOT installed. I downloaded and installed itunes 9 64-bit software after deleting the previous software (PCMover dragged it to this compuer).

I've changed USB ports, restarted the computer, plugged and unplugged and replugjed the ipod every way possible: usb then ipod, ipod then usb, both with computer on and off, tried all before and after itunes started...nothing. No change in the ipod screen. I've even uninstalled the 64-bit version and reinstalled it.

Battery is fine. everything else works. The only change that occurs when I plug in the device is that the genius list shows up.

But the ipod is not recognized. I checked the device manager and it shows up as working properly with no error warnings.

Is there a regestry string I need to alter (I'm comfortable in the registry)?

When I plug in the ipod, there is nowhere on the computer that offers itunes as an option to start with.

All apps, songs, everything that was on the previous itunes still exists. I just can't get itunes to recognize ipod.

I've used the itunes diagnostics which shows that ipod is not recognized. This is the only "red dot" that shows up. It takes me to a web page that explains how to use the diagnostic tool (duh! idiots!)

I've tried everything I can think of. Any suggestions? I am SO close to uninstalling it ans installing the win 7 32-bit itunes.

Thx!
  2. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    Use Apple's steps. Also people with Win 7 64 bit often get the 32 bit version.
  3. Davedom6766

Davedom6766 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    uninstall ALL apple products from your computer, then reinstall..
    i had the same problem and this solved it for me
    (though for some reason it wont charge through computer.....?)
  4. Tkf1

Device:
    iPad mini
    For the last part. Something must be wrong with cable.
  5. richardcav

richardcav Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Cwap!!

This win 7 is a Piece of Cwap!! I did uninstall all apple junk, reinstalid in 32, NOTHING!!!!!!

I finally set up the virtual xp, which WORKED (which means it's a Win 7 issue).! But like a freakin IDIOT, I trusted the itunes program when I opted against autosyncing. I plugged in my ipod and lost EVERY freakin thing!!

I went back to the old laptop that I was trying to wean from, and restored most of the data. I lost a lot of important notes and a few $5.00 programs that were NOT on my computer!!

I am SO ticked!!!! Thanks for your suggestions , guys.

OK, so my question is, is there any way to get back the programs I hadn't backed up on the computer without paying for them all over again? Isn't there some kind of documentation that proves I purchased the programs?

I'm glad I did back up the ipod a few weeks ago, but I'm an IDIOT for not backing it up before trying this mess. Is there anything I can do about the lost programs? Thx!

Oh, and thanks for letting me vent. I feel better now.

I know theres a way to drag the files into the virtual xp directory, but it's a matter of finding them. I have so many backed up in so many drives that I'm having difficulty locating the right ones.

Anyway, thanks again, man!
  6. Mkhcb

Mkhcb Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    The answer is yes, its called transfer of purchase. On itunes, go to itunes account, type your password, and authorized your computer. By doing so, all the music and apps will be transferred to your itunes

As for widows 7, I too have a 64 bit win 7 OS. It works for me. A trouble shooting advice: Plug in ipod and click start> right click computer> manage> Devices

Once there you should see an error on you ipod. Just uninstall and reinstall the divers. If that doesn't work, then disable the the driver and leaving your ipod plugged in, reboot pc.
  7. Tkf1

Device:
    iPad mini
    Redownload the apps. They shouldfree to redownload if you download the right app. As for notes say good bye!
  8. richardcav

richardcav Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I did everything. There was no error sign, and as I mentioned, I tried everything. The only thing that did work was changing to xp mode. Once i get everything together, I'll stick with that.

Oddly, none of the older games that CAN play on in7 cannot play on vertxp. Odd, but I don't care.

Thanks so much for the download advice. Unfortunately, my bejeweled score of 520,000,000 will be lost forever. I have no way to prove it. :-]

I had one day to set up this blasted thing before going out of town and I blew it on itunes. [sigh]

I didn't want to have to tote both computers, but it looks like I may have to...or just leave it until I get back.

Thx again! Can't wait to get my apps back!
  9. richardcav

richardcav Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    This is interesting. My sister just purchased an IPT3G 64g from walmart. She downloaded itunes and plugged in her ipod to her computer, but it kept showing the first screen arrow with itunes on it, which of course is the image you get until itunes syncs it and "brings it to life".

Her ipod is also showing up as a camera.

She has Windows XP, which is the one operating system I've never had a problem with.

No, I haven't been anywhere near her computer, so it wasn't my fault. That she's having the same symptoms doesn't mean I had anything to do with it...just a coincidence. She lives three hours away.

OK, so I'm guessing that there is SOMETHING...some program...that is fighting with the ipod, causing it to show up as a camera.

At least I had mine started before I had this problem, but she can't even get through the front door of her ipod...and the windows are jammed. (grin...how do you like THAT analogy?)

Anyway, I'm going to figure this thing out if it kills me (if it does, who wants my ipod?)

We've done everything that all the troubleshooters have suggested. One thing I do know is that there are no files on our computers that are labled usbappl, regardless of extension. I tried copying the driver from the xp to the win7, then deleting the drivers from device manager, restarting the computer, plugging in the ipod and redirecting the ipod driver setup to the correct drivers, but it wouldn't take.

something, I believe, is interfering with this process, and I believe it's a specific file or program that we must both have on our computers.

Just an update, in case someone else is having the same problem or has more helpful suggestions. Thanks for the ones posted, though.
  10. Tkf1

Device:
    iPad mini

All iPod touchs show up as a camera. That's normal.

Reinstall iTunes.