iPod Touch 4G Purchase Story

Discussion in 'General Apple Chat' started by TouchFaith, Sep 15, 2010.

1. TouchFaith

TouchFaith New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    A few months ago, I applied to work at my local Apple retailer here in the US of A. Just five positions were available, and I was among 300 (!) applicants. The economy, eh?

Anyway, I got through two training sessions before I was cut. During those sessions, I learned that Apple hates, hates, hates customers who walk in and purchase an item without taking time to explore it first. The assumption is that this type of customer is trying to liquidate a stolen credit-card by purchasing high-end electronics to sell online later.

September 1st rolls around and I see Apple finally has an iPod Touch with 802.11n (my house is an N house, none of that pansy G crap). I want one. So for the next eight days until the release, I browsed every last detail of this thing on the web. All the specs, all the photos. Every question answered.

On the 8th, I showed up at the local Apple store an hour early (good thing too, I was first in a huge line!). We queued up inside the store as they opened. An employee came up to help (me) the first customer in line, and said, "Hi, how can I help you today?" I immediately replied with, "I'd like an 8-gig iPod Touch, please."

The look of suspicion on his face was priceless. It suddenly hit me what I'd just done. Oh well. So he walks over to a Macbook and "orders" an iPT from the back room. "It'll be up front in a minute," he said, "why don't we see if we can find you a case for that." I had a sinking feeling in my stomach, knowing his suspicions of me were about to get a lot worse.

The store had no cases. Well, not for the 4G. Again, previous research on the net told me they'd have 3G and 2G cases, but that's it. I said, "That's okay, I'll just get a case online." Another strange look from the salesman. I couldn't help but laugh a little.

The iPod came out from the back. He rang it up. "Your total comes to three-hundred and-" Oops, it was the 32GB model. Now he was just stalling for time. The salesman disappeared and came back 5 minutes later with the right (8GB) model. I handed him my credit card (which I don't sign) ... another look. I was holding back tears of laughter by that point.

So he swipes the card at a strange angle and says, "Oh, that was rejected. Sorry, do you have another card?" I gave him a deadly-serious look and said, "There's nothing wrong with it. Run it again." He ran it again, slowly, and the transaction was approved. Timidly handing the iPod and receipt over in a white Apple bag, the salesman looked a little nervous. I winked at him as I said thanks and left the store.
  2. whymangotango

whymangotango Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    cool story bro!
  3. JKJones

JKJones Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    LMFAO Thats funny
  4. SwiftSkii

SwiftSkii Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    LOL.

Next time get some cheap sunglasses that have a camera in it and record it...
  5. NinetyFour

NinetyFour Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    next time act SUPER suspicious, wearing sunglasses and a hat, always checking your watch, saying you're in a hurry, then when they get suspicious and ask to check your wallet and such, say no. When they get security to violate you and forcibly search you, sue apple =D
  6. JKJones

JKJones Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    or act like hes on his ipod well recording it lol
  7. bryster126

bryster126 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    HAHAH, i hate how people just make assumptions. But great story, made me laugh +rep(imaginary)
  8. austers

austers Well-Known Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Wear a really fake looking mustache

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. ChrisGonzales90

ChrisGonzales90 Banned

Device:
    iPad
    So Apple hates when people know what they want and go in and buy it? ehh.... better not say anything to me other wise I'll give them hell. Your a paying customer. With out you they would be out a job.

as with the credit card. Sometimes the way its scanned or swiped can cause it to be rejected. Just be nice to the associate.
  10. TouchFaith

TouchFaith New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    LOL, that sounds terrible! I just wanted an iPod, not a lawsuit

I tried, honestly, and I don't think I was mean to him, just ... having fun with the situation. I'm sure he got his commission for the sale, anyway