iPod Touch 4G: Opinion & Features

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ChrisB, Jun 15, 2010.

1. ChrisB

ChrisB Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Story
    Recently, while playing games on my beloved iPod Touch at school, my teacher confiscated my iPod touch. Normal practice is to take it to the photocopying office and said student has to wait a month for its return. So... I waited and then went to collect my iPod from the office. What did they tell me? The teacher had never given it in.
    Went back to the teacher, and to cut a long story short, she thought i'd just taken it back from the lab, so when my iPod disappeared, there was clearly nothing fishy. To cut this story short, the school replaced my 2G 16gb, with a 3G 32gb

Please Register or Log in to view images

. I'm selling it straight away, because no matter what, I want that 4th Generation.

Features I'd LOVE to see
    1. The new retina display
    - This screen will bring a whole new dimension to gaming on the iPod Touch. Smoother, ultra high res imaging, clearer text, better colour. It's an incredible piece of engineering, and i'll be sorely dissapointed if it's not included. However, apple are smart and I think they realise they're going to HAVE to put it in, or they're going to be very unpopular.

2. The gravity-detect-accelerometer-majiga (I believe this is the official term)
    - As with the display, this will bring so many new features to gaming. Games will be more innovative, many more 3D environments, more dynamic games. I think this was created for the iPod Touch because the touch is much more aimed at gamers.

3. A camera on the front (yes front, not back)
    - I, as well as many others, am an avid skype user. A camera on the front would be brilliant for those long distance chats with your friends (or in my case, girlfriend who's going off to uni when I start 6th form), and it makes the whole experience much more personal and intimate.

4. Super-special-awesome-glass-casing
    - You all saw that case. It is SEXY. An awful lot of engineering innovation has gone into that case, it looks good, it's strong, it's scratch resistant. GET RID OF THAT CHROME BACK!

5. The Apple A4 Chip (or better)
    - No brainer, better chip, faster gaming, more multitasking, the whole shabang.

6. Bigger battery
    - Bigger battery, more time for whatever, music, games, film, you name it.

What I think will not be included
    1. Back camera
    - The back camera will make the iPod Touch far too similar to the iPhone. This will mean an increase in price in the iPod Touch, and lets face it, it's not the most affordable piece of kit in the world. And even if they did put a camera on, it won't be more than 3 megapixels, and on a cheap phone nowadays you get at least 5.

2. Micro-sim for 3G browsing
    - Again, this makes it too similar to the iPhone. The only reason it was in the iPad was because they could hardly put in a phone could they? Phone = sim, sim = internet. They couldn't not make browsing mobile on the iPad, therefore micro sim for data plans only.

3. A low price tag.

- New, the 16gb 2G was £214. 32gb 3G is £234. Do I think it will go up again? Certainly. if it includes the features of the iPhone 4, I think it will be a big jump in price. All the same, one can hope that with the 4G, it will be the 64gb that is close in price to the 3G 32, as it was before.

All in all, with the release of iPhone 4, iPod Touch 4G, or iPod Touch 4, whatever they call it, will be a brilliant piece of new tech, full of innovation, new features and hours of fun. This is my point of view and nothing may be correct, but I can hope

Thanks for reading

2. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    Get an iPhone.

95% sure that the 4gen iPod Touch will include a camera only on the front.

100% A4 chip

75% New desgin

100% a Surprise.

100% iOS 4.1 and 4.0 for the iPad.
  3. ChrisB

ChrisB Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Agreed. I don't the a camera on the back will be necessary anyway, if you want that then just get an iphone, or a cheap camera. A camera on the front will take half decent pics anyways seeing as for something like skype it will be only used for wifi..
  4. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    This is what I think will be included:
    -FACETIME (If Apple wants FaceTime to succeed they will have to put it on as many devices as possible, otherwise, it might just die.)
    -Front facing camera (VGA)
    -Back camera (1.3MP or some other low MP cam, nothing big, but something that can function with FaceTime).
    -A Microphone for FaceTime
    -Retina display
    -Gyro sensor
    -Apple A4
    -STEEL backing (This has been the classic back for all iPods since the dawn of time.)

What won't happen:
    -Glass backing (This will probably be an iPhone only thing, I still see steel in the future).
    -Micro Sim (if it has this, you might as well get an iPhone!)
    -Some extra awesomeness (all of it has been used on the iPhone already!

)
  5. XxRedRumxX

XxRedRumxX Well-Known Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    wow...ur lucky. If my ipod was still stolen then they wouldntve even bothered to replace it. But the front camera idea is a good idea rather it being in the back
  6. ChrisB

ChrisB Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Haha, if they hadn't i'd have sued

Yeah, i'd much rather it was on the front - much more useful in my opinion

Facetime may be included... I doubt it though due to being able to charge to use this on network carriers
    Microphone is included in headphones
  7. RaymondK8

RaymondK8 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Just make sure if they're making an 8GB model, that it should include ALL the 4G features.

I'm still incredibly pissed for the fact that I paid an extra £25 for nothing. Yeah, besides an iTouch that's harder to jailbreak.

What a load of crap. They shouldn't sell a NEW 8GB when a NEW 32GB and 64GB models were in sale at the same time. They may not have officially named the 3G 8GB as a new iPod but Apple intentionally done this to rip their customers off.
    So yeah, make a proper 8GB model FFS.
  8. ChrisB

ChrisB Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    8g is useless for me, i have films, music, apps, and it totals about 40gb
    I'm going for at least the 32 gb model, or if not the 64/128gb depend on prices and what they manage to bring out

The 8gb models are designed to be the affordable ipod touch, only costing a bit more than the nano, and less than the classic. They were never meant to be the high end ones.. so spend a bit more and invest in a more expensive iPod, or do research before purchasing

9. avikar1

avikar1 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    If they are going to add facetime we will have to see both front and back cameras, just because of some of the deoms, and because on the iPhone you can switch back and forth between them.
    100% New design
    100% iOS 4
    90% a camera
    100% Retina Display + Gyro
  10. ChrisB

ChrisB Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    So? They could easily adjust the app so it's just a front camera.